Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking of upgrading

A while ago got SW Myriad 9mm EP which I really like and has replaced the standard 10mm that came with my 150PL. I am considering getting Myriad 6mm to replace the standard SW 6mm I have as I do like the extra FOV. Also looking for suggestions to upgrade the standard 25mm EP. Have noted that the wider FOV 25mm are 2" rather than 1.25" barrel. Finally also considering TV powermate (x2.5) to upgrade standard barlow that came with the 150PL. just to confirm this is not necessarily all at same time or my bank balance will never be the same :) Suggestions/advice welcome.

I guess you will have seen the review I did of the Myriads ?:

My favourite was the 20mm which would be a great replacement for your 25mm "stock" eyepiece !

I don't believe there is a 6mm though ?

The 5mm would give you 240x with your 150PL - might be pushing the EQ3-2 mount a little to far perhaps ?

I'd probably consider an smaller lighter 6mm eyepiece (200x) such as the William Optics SPL which get great reports. I reckon they come from the same factory as the Myriads !

I'm not sure what you would need a 2.5x Powermate for, lovely thing through it is. It's going to produce too much magnification even when used with the 9mm Myriad, not that I'd be comfortable in using a 1.25" Barlow / Powermate with such a heavy / tall eyepiece in the 1st place.

Thanks fro replies. Referring to the Myriad I meant to say 5mm not 6mm, but take it that 5mm might be pushing my set up a bit. My focuser is 1.25" and I thought the 20mm Myriad came 2" only but may be mistaken? Duly noted re powermate idea and thanks for advice. I will save some money there:)

8 minutes ago, David P Osborne said:

Thanks fro replies. Referring to the Myriad I meant to say 5mm not 6mm, but take it that 5mm might be pushing my set up a bit. My focuser is 1.25" and I thought the 20mm Myriad came 2" only but may be mistaken? Duly noted re powermate idea and thanks for advice. I will save some money there:)

You are correct - the Myriad 20mm is 2" only. I forgot that not all 150PL's can take 2" eyepieces. 5mm gives you 240x which would be useable under very good conditions but 200x (6mm) would get more use I think.

Nice choices.

The Panoptic will given one of the widest FOV in your 1.25" focuser and is fantastic: I have one and it sees plenty of use in a range of scopes. Bought used these are a bargain in my opinion :)

The Delos I don't know about, but expect it to be excellent. My 7mm Delite certainly is. You could also consider the ES82 6.7mm or a Morpheus 6.5mm for slightly wider field. At 55 degrees, the Williams Optic 6mm SPL is excellent and pretty cheap second hand. One went on eBay recently for about £37.

None are close to the 100 degree AFOV you started out chasing though. Does that matter? It wouldn't to me, but your preferences may be different.

James

Archived