Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Free Monthly Digital-Publication

Dave In Vermont

Hi Folks -

A notice crawled into my email-box earlier from Astronomy Magazine, a US astro monthly magazine I subscribe to. They announced a new monthly digital-magazine, free of charge. So I loaded the the thing into my downloads and sniffed it with my Kaspersky anti-virus. It was clean. So I looked through it: 12 pages, lots of astro-ads, and a couple of decent articles on various subjects. So I thought I'd share the link to this for any interested party. So here it is:

http://www.astronomy.com/flippers/asy_is0316/

It didn't ask me any questions or try to get my email addy or anything. So it appears harmless.

Enjoy!

Dave

I think that is the magazine I had a good few months ago. All was well until about three months back then Norton went wild. It had a virus or something embedded. In the end I now send all of their emails to the deleted bin without opening as they refused to accept my requests to take me off their email lists. 

Derek

I very much doubt that this was the one. This is from Kalmbach Publishing - who are quite large and respectable. And Astronomy is the #1 astronomy magazine over here. It's been around since 1978 or so. I've been a subscriber for decades. Never had a problem with any emails from them whatsoever. In fact some of their emails contain some very interesting articles in them, which I download and convert from word documents to pdf. form and file 'em.

I nonetheless scan all my emails with Kaspersky's a-v.

All the best -

Dave

I found over time the magazines  become repetitive and often have the same articles in both within a few weeks. I have just subscribed to the BAA and they are offering an 18 month membership for the price of 12 months and as I am over a certain age it was cheaper.  OK, a bit off the free mags idea. but maybe of interest to some. Information they have sent looks very interesting.

Derek

16 hours ago, Physopto said:

Thanks Dave.

Could not remember which one but safe rather than sorry.

Found it in my filters, it was :

Amateur Astrophotography E-Magazine

I have set a filter to delete it before I even see it now.

Derek

Here's a little trick a hacker I know taught me:

Hover your mouse over the link in Derek's post above - do NOT click on it! - and look down at the bottom of your screen. You will see a lengthy chain of weird coded garbage. Now do the same with my link:

http://www.astronomy.com/flippers/asy_is0316/

Quite a difference, yes? My link takes you directly to the site. Derek's link could send you to Ceres for all I know. But it's not a direct line to a legit website.

Thus concludes today's lesson on Komputer-Krooks 101,

Dave :eek::grin:

Archived