Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another lovely Jupiter session in progress

John

6 hours ago, John said:

I've packed up now but I was definitely seeing 2 shadows during my last observations (around 25 mins ago). One of the shadows was quite a bit less defined / less dark than the other.

Does this tie up with your observations John? The second shadow did not start its transit until 11.47. Was the less defined shadow possibly Ganymede which, if I remember rightly is darker than the other moons?

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Does this tie up with your observations John? The second shadow did not start its transit until 11.47. Was the less defined shadow possibly Ganymede which, if I remember rightly is darker than the other moons?

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yeah, this was my last view of Jupter when I could see Io's shadow on the belt (flipped my image horizontally to match what I saw through the EP). When seeing allowed it was quite easy to spot Io's shadow. This was the last view I got  just before Ganymede's shadow was due to start according to Skysafari. Sadly, high clouds and haze scudded in at this time, making further observations impossible.

image.jpeg

Archived