Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I enjoy seeing Jupiter's moons change positions

DemosL

Over the last few weeks, I've been out looking at Jupiter with my 15 x 70 binoculars. Even with thin clouds, I can make out the moons easily. When I used to view Jupiter through my scopes, I only remember seeing the moons lines up in a straight line. Perhaps it was just coincidence that when I viewed them, them happened to be that way. It's as if the moons revolved around Jupiter perpendicular to my line of sight. Now I'm not so sure.

A few nights ago, the moons weren't in a straight line. It was almost as if I had a birds eye view of the Jovian system. Tonight, all four moons were in Jupiter's 2 o'clock position. They looked like 2 sets of close double stars. I'd never seen the arrangement before. I know it's been said that the Jovian system looks like a miniature Solar System, but it's true.

Archived