Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - double transit - 16th March 2016

dweller25

Here are a couple of sketches drawn on the 16th of March capturing the double transit of Ganymede and Io.

The drawing at 19:52UT shows the grey disk of Ganymede at the bottom of the North Temperate belt and it's shadow just starting to traverse to the right.

The 20:39UT drawing shows Ganymede and it's shadow now well traversed as the white disk of Io is about to traverse the North Equatorial belt.

Sadly clouds rolled in around 21:00UT and brought the observing to an end !

56eb2d7e2166b_Jupiter17thMarch2016_small

Observing details : Takahashi FS128 with Binoviewers at x156, seeing at 19:52UT was AII, dropping to AII/AIII at 20:39UT

11 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Here are a couple of sketches drawn on the 16th of March capturing the double transit of Ganymede and Io.

The drawing at 19:52UT shows the grey disk of Ganymede at the bottom of the North Temperate belt and it's shadow just starting to traverse to the right.

The 20:39UT drawing shows Ganymede and it's shadow now well traversed as the white disk of Io is about to traverse the North Equatorial belt.

Sadly clouds rolled in around 21:00UT and brought the observing to an end !

56eb2d7e2166b_Jupiter17thMarch2016_small

Observing details : Takahashi FS128 with Binoviewers at x156, seeing at 19:52UT was AII, dropping to AII/AIII at 20:39UT

Nice sketches David. 

I managed to follow the whole event but from my site but the cloud prevented a truly clear view until the last 15 mins or so. I'd been at the eyepiece from 18.15 observing the moon, so by the time I eventually had a clear enough spell to make a sketch, I was too wacked to bother. It was beautiful to watch though, even through the cloud. Strange how the moon from here was in clear, steady sky all night but Jupiter was in a constant strip of fast moving cloud with few breaks.

I'm glad you got to see it!

Mike

Archived