Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SPC900 still worth the effort?

roblegion

Since you already own the SPC900's then I'd say yes, go ahead and experiment with them. They can still produce some decent results.

If you're ready to splash the cash on a dedicated planetary/lunar/guide camera then you'd be looking at something like a ZWO ASI120MM/ASI120MC or a QHY5L-II etc.

I have the SPC900 with full SC1.5 mod and chip change which Astronomiser did for me. At the time it was worth it cos I had nothing else. But on reflection my money might have been better spent on a commercial imaging cam like one of the DFK range which work out not too much more (especially s/h). But if you want a bit of fun and you're an electrical wizz and want to keep it under £150 - then why not.... nice little project. :)

Not sure if you would get a straight yes/no answer. It depends... ;-)

If you do enjoy the challenge (as I did) and seeing that you already have the SPCs, it might be worth a try for the fun of it.

On the other hand, prices of guide cams have come down. If you rather want something that just works, then it might be better to buy a guide cam. Not sure what the SPCs go for these days, but back when I started modding them the 2 you have would buy you a new QHY5L-II now.

I myself have stopped using the modded SPCs and I bought a QHY5L-II Mono just for guiding. Come to think of it, I still have one modded SPC as an all-sky cam which I still need to set up again.

If you do decide to mod the SPCs, I'll try to help as much as I can (if you do need any help) ;-)

Hi Rob

I have a Toucam Pro that I SC1 modded many years ago, that was very difficult to do, couldn't do it now, my eyesight and hand steadiness aren't good enough.

I also did a YesYes on a SPC900, and that was easy and fun.

Both are used for guiding, and are perfectly adequate for that job.

However I believe their days a planetary cameras are passed - as others have said, high-frame-rate, higher resolution cameras are available at reasonable bucks.

And the same goes for cooling and DSO's.

Your equipment list doesn't say what guidecam you have - if you haven't got one I'd thoroughly recommend modding one of your SPC's, no need for cooling.

Michael

16 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Rob

I have a Toucam Pro that I SC1 modded many years ago, that was very difficult to do, couldn't do it now, my eyesight and hand steadiness aren't good enough.

I also did a YesYes on a SPC900, and that was easy and fun.

Both are used for guiding, and are perfectly adequate for that job.

However I believe their days a planetary cameras are passed - as others have said, high-frame-rate, higher resolution cameras are available at reasonable bucks.

And the same goes for cooling and DSO's.

Your equipment list doesn't say what guidecam you have - if you haven't got one I'd thoroughly recommend modding one of your SPC's, no need for cooling.

Michael

I don't have aguide cam as such, and am trying to use unmodded SPC900, I think ?????????? I have the skill, and have looked at Yesyes's mods previously, just wondered wether to flog 'em and buy an QHY or one of the cheaper ZWO's

Archived