Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

VAL

mcsheffield

Is anyone planning to be streaming on VAL tonight? Or is there any kind of rota provided the sky is kind?

I saw some of Dr D on Monday, was hoping for some more viewing, as that was a revelation for me. Until my health is a lot better its the best sky watching I can do :)

And it made me aware of how much I miss it, but not the cold nights :)

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Cloudy & rain here so I'm unable to broadcast - you can sign up to notifications in the VAL website so when someone goes live you get a message.

I don't think there any kind of rota - VAL can manage multiple stream at once if the broadcasters are able to weather/commitments permitting.

HTH

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have now signed up for notifications I think.

Thanks for that show you put on, I did not really understand what was happening until I did some reading up, I did not realise you had a live video camera and that was live stacking, now I understand what you was doing I was well impressed, you had some great results far better than what I used to get with my kit that has been boxed up for safety, as I am not in a fit state to move myself, let alone lift mount outside up steps & then the scope.

It has even made me think perhaps I could do this, might take a bit to persuade the wife thou.

I will keep an eye on my emails, just in case someone goes live.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I got into Video Astronomy about 5 years ago, originally using a standard security camera with a 1.25" nose piece in place of the standard eyepiece.

This got me hooked and worked quite well and is a relatively cheap way to get into this branch of our hobby - Samsung SCB2000 still seems to be available and there may be other cameras out there that won't break the bank.

However the work done by fellow SGL member Paul81 on Starlight Live has meant that we can use sensitive guide cameras such as the Lodestar to acquire and stack images in real time and see detail in the image emerge the longer we view - much like looking through an eyepiece and noticing more detail the longer we look. We are not aiming for the amount of detail and resolution often achieve by dedicated astrophotographers collecting hours of data then spending a similar amount of time processing this data to achieve the stunning images we see posted on the internet and in magazines. Rather we are looking for an alternative to the eye piece view giving us that quick fix some of us need!

ATIK now offer a near real time camera with software of similar functionality to Starlight Live and there are other dedicated analogue/digital video cameras such as the Mallincam range that continue to push the boundaries of what we can "see" with our modest scopes and light polluted gardens.

I've achieved reasonable results with a 70mm refractor on a Skywatcher AZ-GOTO mount - Starlight Live will correct for field rotation as well as drift between exposures so you do not need the heavy kit usually associated with astrophotography.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that in the mean time you can continue to enjoy the views through our electronic eyepieces on VAL.

Clear Skies

Paul

14 hours ago, mcsheffield said:

Hi Paul,

I have now signed up for notifications I think.

Thanks for that show you put on, I did not really understand what was happening until I did some reading up, I did not realise you had a live video camera and that was live stacking, now I understand what you was doing I was well impressed, you had some great results far better than what I used to get with my kit that has been boxed up for safety, as I am not in a fit state to move myself, let alone lift mount outside up steps & then the scope.

It has even made me think perhaps I could do this, might take a bit to persuade the wife thou.

I will keep an eye on my emails, just in case someone goes live.

Thanks

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

I just checked and you are indeed subscribed to received notifications when someone on VAL is either live or plan to go live.  It's great hear how you enjoyed the show and I hope you get to see many more soon.  Paul put on a great show and everyone viewing had a lot of fun so fingers crossed we'll get a another notification soon :happy11:

Best wishes and hope you feel better soon

Karl

9 hours ago, baldeliftman said:

Interesting what is val and how do I get to it is on this forum or a site what is the address but good to see these videos many thanks chris

Hello Chris,

VAL is a site setup for anyone who wants to share their telescope views live by streaming direct to their channel on VAL.  If you like that kind of thing take a look and join in.  

Best wishes

Karl

Archived