Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image with ASI120 MM Jupiter and Europa

Owmuchonomy

I have just acquired an ASI 120 MM.  I tried it with my C 9.25 SCT last night for the first time just as Europa began its transit of Jupiter.  I used Firecapture but found it virtually impossible to see anything live on the screen that would enable me to focus.  The seeing was dire maybe.  You can see Io too. Here is my effort.

The other issue I encountered is that all the final images show the pixel matrix.  I had to Gaussian blur to get rid of it.  Is this usual?

JupEuropatrans7_3_16_s.jpg.9f6ff32520228

1 hour ago, bunnygod1 said:

Some decent detail there in the image, what stacking/processing programmes did you use?

Hi Pete, usual culprits AS!2 and sharpening in PS. All the stacked tiffs showed a pixel matrix overlay irrespective of the parameters I chose. For focussing I dropped the gamma right down as suggested in the tutorials but to focus the image was impossible. I had better success in colour with my old DSLR to be honest. Any tips greatly received. Basic settings to get 70% histogram were:

exp, 25ms and gain 26, gamma 50 (neutral). This gave me an average of 36 fps.

On 3/7/2016 at 17:14, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi Pete, usual culprits AS!2 and sharpening in PS. All the stacked tiffs showed a pixel matrix overlay irrespective of the parameters I chose. For focussing I dropped the gamma right down as suggested in the tutorials but to focus the image was impossible. I had better success in colour with my old DSLR to be honest. Any tips greatly received. Basic settings to get 70% histogram were:

exp, 25ms and gain 26, gamma 50 (neutral). This gave me an average of 36 fps.

What software did you use to stack the RGB frames?  

Archived