Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory build underway

Tzetze

Thanks again guys, these comments are so very encouraging. The wind certainly was a worry for a time, Tiny Small, but we've had some real howling winds since the roof went on and it's rock solid (so far)!

Anyway, I had a day off earlier in the week and got a few small bits finished off.

The main door is done. I'm really delighted with how it turned out.

20160920_153455.jpg

Cut some window surround to size and test fitted (excuse the blurry pic). It's not fixed in place yet, hopefully will get that finished off over the weekend.

20160920_192126.jpg

Finished off my deskside sockets. So, I have USB and 12V terminal posts which feed out to the pier. I will install terminators into a pier-mounted project box to which a hitec astro mount hub pro will connect. I also have an ethernet port with cat6 running back to the router in the main house. Only this evening did I pluck up the courage to put a plug onto the other end of cat6 and plug it into the router. Then, very tentatively, I tested a ping to an external I.P., and success with no packet loss!  :D

20160920_193325.jpg

Tasks ahead for the weekend are to sheet the scope room walls and begin work on building the internal door.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jayne and Hiroshiman, much appreciated.

It's been another busy few weeks since last update.

I got some anchor plates made up for the roof, so it's much more solid. I'll get some plates made up for the rafters  at some stage but what's in there has stood up well to some strong winds.

20160924_194137.jpg

Made a platform for the entryway. The decking has been oiled and will likely be stained but will need to get a gritted oil onto there too before the icy weather arrives.

20161021_080932.jpg

I also spent some time finishing off doorways, sheeted the sope room walls, put up mouldings around the windows and any other areas that needed gaps hiding. I put some carptet tiles down in the warm room too. These will probably get wrecked over time but they came my way at no cost, so nothing lost if they do.

Today, I finished off some skirting in the warm room and then put down the scope room floor.

20161023_195708.jpg

Then it was time to get all the furniture in.

20161023_212354.jpg

20161023_212508.jpg

20161023_220937.jpg

I'm calling this 'finished'!  :)

There are still quite a few small bits and pieces left to take care of and upgrades to begin saving for (PC for starters!) but this is now a working obsy. It's been a long time in the works and not without its share of worrisome moments but it's been so well worth the effort.

Now for the fun part... but not tonight because it's raining.

I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm so impressed by your work especially as you mentioned that this is your first time tackling anything like this. Exceptional work mate, I'm sure there's others that have read this post, who like myself, have taken inspiration from what you've achieved. 

The true masterclass in obsy building I reckon. Awesome. :headbang:

13 hours ago, hiroshiman said:

That looks like professional work mate.

You even have remote-controlled ghostly hands in the obs, I wonder what type of electronics you use to operate that. :dink:

Thanks again Hiroshiman, hehe sorry about the blurry pics and ghostly artifacts! ;p

18 minutes ago, Dbswales said:

I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm so impressed by your work especially as you mentioned that this is your first time tackling anything like this. Exceptional work mate, I'm sure there's others that have read this post, who like myself, have taken inspiration from what you've achieved. 

The true masterclass in obsy building I reckon. Awesome. :headbang:

That's very kind of you to say, Dbswales - thankyou Sir.

It would be great if others drew inspiration from this, but that can only be as a result of the inspirational work of Malc-c and yesyes. It was their builds and threads that spurred me into action in the first place. So, thanks to both those guys.

Archived