Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binocular tripod

bish

I went for the Manfrotto 475b with the 502AH video head. It's an expensive setup, about £350 when I bought it, and is designed to cope with something much heavier than my 15x70 bins, but it is money well spent as it is sturdiness in itself. I'm the same height, and I can stand upright underneath mine and look up at the zenith with plenty of room to spare in the leg extenions - about a foot I reckon.

I am also 5' 10" and also have a Manfrotto 475B (mine has a 501 head). Superb tripod. However, I don't like looking at the zenith whilst standing; with my 16x70, I prefer to sit or recline and use a monopod with a Manfrotto 222 joystick head.

3 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

I am also 5' 10" and also have a Manfrotto 475B (mine has a 501 head). Superb tripod. However, I don't like looking at the zenith whilst standing; with my 16x70, I prefer to sit or recline and use a monopod with a Manfrotto 222 joystick head.

Ah I said nothing about liking it..... :wink: I can stand upright in between the tripod legs with the binoculars at the zenith and my knees are comfortable. My neck however...

15 hours ago, bish said:

Thanks for your replies. While I do hold my 15x70 bins it's not ideal (mainly for comets and variable stars).  If get some 20x100 then a good tripod will be a must

If you get a 20x100, then a good parallelogram will be a must! (IMNSVHO, of course! :icon_biggrin: )

I use a Horizon 8115 for my 20x90 bins. I used to only be able to observe up to about 60-70 degrees before the pan and tilt handle hit the tripod. I solved this by rotating the handle 180 degrees so it faces forward. Not i can observe 90 degrees directly overhead.

Archived