SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A GoTo Alternative

Samibotss

Hello SGL,

I was wondering if it was possible, instead of having a system point your telescope to a celestial object, have a system say what your pointing at with an app like stellarium.

And if it is possible, I would like to know how :D

4 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

You could use plate solving to identify the object in view and synch that to Stellarium or Circe de Ciel. There is also a gadget that does something like this - Celestron SkyScout.

Are there any alternatives to the skyscout? it seems astroshop.de don't have it

1 hour ago, Samibotss said:

Well, I Have to buy a GPS Mount for my telescope to use SkEye..

Not sure what you mean by a GPS mount. As far as I know, based on experience from a colleague at the local astro society - you just load it to your phone (I'm assuming your phone has GPS), run it, point the scope at a known place in the sky, strap the phone to the scope and calibrate it (i.e confirm that SkEye is pointing at what it thinks its  pointing at)

Skyeye pro works with say using a mobile phone and many come with gps built in and require a data services to work.

Google Sky works with wifi and might be useful.

Skyeye Pro works with wifi as well I guess it depend how far from the wifi observing is.

4 hours ago, ngwillym said:

Not sure what you mean by a GPS mount. As far as I know, based on experience from a colleague at the local astro society - you just load it to your phone (I'm assuming your phone has GPS), run it, point the scope at a known place in the sky, strap the phone to the scope and calibrate it (i.e confirm that SkEye is pointing at what it thinks its  pointing at)

I mean a car GPS Mount so I can easily strap it on my scope

7 hours ago, sbooder said:

Mount an iphone or similar to the top of your scope so it points in the same direction and use a gyro planetarium App.

Exactly what I did. Thanks everyone for the support!

20 minutes ago, mountainstorm said:

I'd be interested in how accurate it is/can be once calibrated.  Is it/can it be a match for a telrad or similar finder?

Yes, although if put too close to the scope it maybe disturbed by the magnetic field

Archived