NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Latest Jupiter, imaging question

mwayne

Hi all, 

Lately my seeing has consisted of seeing the bottoms of clouds and through the jet stream.  This is my first decent image in a while. 26 February 2016 0509 UT.

When I capture I set a limit of 5000 frames (using Firecapture 2.4) and will have the frame rate set to 8 milliseconds.  So I'm thinking the capture should be finished in 40 seconds,  125 frames per second times 40 seconds equals 5000. But the captures are taking about 90 seconds. Is there a deadband or buffering between frames is is my math way off? Just curious.

Thanks! 

Jup_260216_jup1_050917_g6_b3_ap37.jpg

21 hours ago, Grotemobile said:

I think U can turn buffering off or on.

Steve.

Thanks,  apparently I slept through the buffering part of firecapture class ; ) What are the advantages / disadvantages of using or not using buffering?

Here is my latest Jupiter 27 February 2016 0555 UT. I had the gain turned way up to keep the frame rate fast (because of seeing) and processing artifacts can be seen in diagonal lines oriented  from top center to lower right.

Jup_270216_055503_g6_b3_ap37.jpg

It is turned on by default, so I just leave it.

I think the idea is to smooth out the incoming

data, to stop U loosing any.  That is a very

good picture. Were U using the 5x Barlow with

that. Loads of detail have come through.

1 hour ago, mwayne said:

Thanks,  apparently I slept through the buffering part of firecapture class ; ) What are the advantages / disadvantages of using or not using buffering?

Here is my latest Jupiter 27 February 2016 0555 UT. I had the gain turned way up to keep the frame rate fast (because of seeing) and processing artifacts can be seen in diagonal lines oriented  from top center to lower right.

Jup_270216_055503_g6_b3_ap37.jpg

22 hours ago, Grotemobile said:

It is turned on by default, so I just leave it.

I think the idea is to smooth out the incoming

data, to stop U loosing any.  That is a very

good picture. Were U using the 5x Barlow with

that. Loads of detail have come through.

Thanks Grotemobile

Yes, I've always used the barlow for planets. Did some research on the buffering feature and found some good information,  if too fast a frame rate is chosen the processor may limit the actual frame rate, this seems to be a bigger issue with AMD chips than the Intel.  Another thing is having a disk that's already crammed full (like mine) which will make the processor have to search for bits of space which can limit the actual frame rate. I'm going to get an external hard drive and try to clean up the disk and see if that helps.

Archived