Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacement focuser?

My Vixen NA140SS has a 2" rack and pinion focuser with a planetary reducer. It's very very rough though. The best way I can describe it is when you turn it, it's like driving over rumble strips and if you happen to find focus on the top bit of the rumble strip, it wants to rock backwards or forwards to a low bit....if that makes sense? 

I've taken the mechanism off and the roughness (or clickiness) seems to come from the bearings in the reducer. Obviously I'll get back to the dealer who I'm sure will sort it but what if I wanted to change the focuser...would that even be possible? I can't imagine there's anything made to fit one of these scopes with 140mm tube threaded on the end?! Or is it possible to buy just a replacement mechanism and keep the draw tube?

Does any of this make sense?!

IMG_20160223_0715407.jpg.039c78fadcb0a74

IMG_20160223_0715527.jpg.bc8dadfda7f69df

IMG_20160223_0717517.jpg.b39334f4a15d027

I'm fairly sure Moonlite would have something which would fit. You obviously need to ensure it works with the Petzval elements correctly but I would contact them and see if they have an adaptor available

Cheers Stu - you're better with Google than me! So it looks like the big flanged part holds the corrector lenses and there's an additional inserted bit which is the focuser. That sounds doable and also sounds like Moonlight should know all about this. 

Brilliant!

It may just be that the pinion is meshing too tightly against the rack and needs to be brought further away. This is likely to be adjustable. It would strike me as a shame to move from a rack and pinion to a Crayford. Vixen mechanical engineering is usually simple, practical and honest.

Olly

No, I've tried that and it's all ok. The "roughness" appears to be coming from the planetary reduction housing (which might be something I've just invented) - the ball bearings behind the focus knobs because I've removed the actual focus mechanism from the draw tube and the roughness is still there when you turn the knobs. 

• 3 months later...

Archived