Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan AZ Goto or Celestron Nexstar SLT

DevonSkies

Hi,

I'm considering buying a small Mak on a budget goto mount. The Celestron Nexstar SLT and the Skywatcher Synscan AZ Goto look very similar, and I've read a few reports that the main difference is in the alignment routine.

Is there consensus on the differences between these two mounts? Is there any mechanical difference at all (e.g. accuracy of tracking), or is it more a matter of "toss a coin"? Personally I prefer the "look" of the Skywatcher (purely cosmetically!) and of course it's slightly cheaper.

Any thoughts appreciated!

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 16:37, Cornelius Varley said:

The SLT has the better alignment routine but it looks like the latest version of the AZ-GOTO (Star Discovery) might be better, if it ever gets sold separately.

What's  new about Star Discovery?

3 minutes ago, BGazing said:

What's  new about Star Discovery?

The Star Discovery mount is a redesigned version of the AZ-Goto. This version has a lot of new features including dual encoders which gives the operator the advantage over the SLT and AZ-Goto the ability to manually slew the telescope , without using the handset, over to another target without losing alignment on the previous target. The dual encoder system is already used by the newest Synscan AZ/EQ mounts.

just to follow up: in the end I went with the Nexstar SLT on the basis of advice from FLO that the Nexstar had a slight edge in build quality and software.

It's certainly a clever piece of kit. Unfortunately I'm having fairly major problems with GoTo accuracy at the moment. Basically, despite careful setup (and double checking all the usual suspects, i.e. time/date/location, etc) it misses every target by about half a degree.

FLO have suggested I try a firmware update, so I'll give that a go and see if it fixes it.

Archived