NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mini-Me does the California (5yr old)

Uranium235

A couple of nights ago I let my 5 year old son have a go at taking his own images, the only thing I didnt let him do was setting up (for obvious safety reasons!).

He punched the target number into the handset, calibrated PHD, and set then artemis to capture with 300s subs. We then retired to the house to watch the data come in. Today we got round to calibrating, stacking and processing the data... so under guidance (I didnt push any buttons!), he calibrated in DSS, stacked in Maxim, and then ran a quick digital development as I wanted to make it as "one click" as possible.

After which, we transferred it into photoshop, where he (again under verbal guidance) loaded a couple of curves, did the levels, then applied a couple of actions for sharpness and contrast (one click actions). Obviously I had to keep it simple, so it was as many one click opertations that I could think of.

So here it is, his first astro image - I guess its something interesting to take for "show and tell" at school....lol.

NGC1499

20x300 (Ha)

25057685561_49cc2b3d96_b.jpg

11 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Mmm, the force is strong with your Padawan learner... I sense a second set-up will soon be required!

Haha... Yeah I'll be teaching him "the force" over the next few years :D  Whether he decides to take it up properly is another thing entirely! He seems more interested in planets than anything else at the mo, but I explained that nebulas are the place where stars are made - I just put it as "baby stars" and he understood it..lol.

Well, he keeps asking when he can go camping with daddy (ie: SGL star parties), but I'll probably wait until he is 6 and competent enough not to break anything :)

I've done a "daddy version", as after he went to bed I upped the exposure time to 600s and left it running for a couple more hours.... welll... I dont want to be upstaged by the little man now do I.... lol... Though one day far from now it may be a case of "your powers are weak old man" :D:D

20x300 + 12x600

25127961726_e901f68f3f_h.jpg

4 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

A couple of nights ago I let my 5 year old son have a go at taking his own images, the only thing I didnt let him do was setting up (for obvious safety reasons!).

He punched the target number into the handset, calibrated PHD, and set then artemis to capture with 300s subs. We then retired to the house to watch the data come in. Today we got round to calibrating, stacking and processing the data... so under guidance (I didnt push any buttons!), he calibrated in DSS, stacked in Maxim, and then ran a quick digital development as I wanted to make it as "one click" as possible.

After which, we transferred it into photoshop, where he (again under verbal guidance) loaded a couple of curves, did the levels, then applied a couple of actions for sharpness and contrast (one click actions). Obviously I had to keep it simple, so it was as many one click opertations that I could think of.

So here it is, his first astro image - I guess its something interesting to take for "show and tell" at school....lol.

NGC1499

20x300 (Ha)

25057685561_49cc2b3d96_b.jpg

Hehe, that's something I'd like to see, the teacher wouldn't have a clue..lol

Archived