Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mini dob mini review

bish

Hi all,

I spent  half an hour or so with a  borrowed Celestron First Scope mini dob earlier. I wasn't expecting much from a 76mm reflector, especially contending with  a bright moon (and terrible light pollution anyway!). Obviously I didn't go galaxy hunting.  I did grab my own eps (12mm and 6.5mm), so can't comment on the supplied ones. I believe the 6.5mm was giving me x46, so the moon didn't completely fill the fov. However, the view was crisp and I have had a nice view of the Mare Imbrium and Montes Jura (near the terminator).  I then moved onto M42. I wasn't sure how I would get on with no finderscope, but it was fairly easy to locate bright targets.  The conditions weren't great, M42 being quite low down in the murk. Although it was quite small I could make out the distinctive shape of the brightest part of the nebula. M45 filled the fov nicely.  Lastly I tried out Jupiter.  The seeing was poor, but I could see the disc  and 3 moons. Most of the time I could make out the 2 main bands and there was one instant where the image snapped into sharp focus and I was sure I could make out a barge. Overall I enjoyed using the little scope. You can carry it up and down the garden in one hand to get a better view, and certainly don't have to worry about disturbing the neighbours taking it out  (and back in) late  at night. I just have to lug my 250px outside now....

Thanks all. I would like to take one to a dark site. I've always considered a pair of bins as as better buy but am not so sure now. For a beginner to be able to see the belts of Jupiter or rings of Saturn (due to the extra magnification) is a real plus point. What I thought might be hard work turned out to be fun to use

Archived