Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PSU at the peer instead of bench?

kirkster501

Hi Steve,

Failed to attach pic on previous post but managed to find this pic of the power distribution box I made. The main PSU is away from the pier but all the scope supplies come via this one box - and it has a USB hub as well. Does make everything neater.

Regards, Hugh

2015-06-18 17.10.12.jpg

Hi Steve,

I basically do exactly that. I run two power cables (12)volt up to the mount from batteries some 8 meters away. The cables are both 4mm2.  They run up to a distribution box along with a single USB active cable. At the distribution box the power then comes out into two cables, one for the mount and the dew heaters, the other for everything else. On the sides of the scope are two boxes with all of the electronics in them, power and USB hubs. Also there are three DC/DC supplies in the boxes to supply the different voltages to the rotator, focuser and cameras. I use a mixture of XLR sockets with various number of pins. This ensures that in the cold or dark, that I cannot plug into the wrong sockets/voltages.

Derek

A couple of pics of my boxes that bolt to the scope sides. Top one is for the focuser and dew heater, the box contains the voltage convertors.

20160217_111519[1].jpg

This one has all the other gear, convertors and USB distribution. Power in for both boxes via two inputs. One out to second box.

20160217_111641[1].jpg

Everything can be easily disconnected for replacement in the field. I thought it daft to solder everything in case of faults, which as we all know will happen as soon as it is fixed permanently.

20160217_111743[1].jpg

Boxes are roughly balanced as well, as they go either side of the scope.

Derek

Archived