Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Four Wheeling with the 90mm

StarSapling

Loaded my trusty 90mm refractor into the Jeep and headed out to a remote area of the Santa Catalina Mountains for some observing, camping and hiking.

2/11/2016 - Davis Mesa, eastern foot of Santa Catalina Mtns., Arizona - seeing fair - trans good - obs. good

90mm f10 Refractor 

Orion:

NGC2024 - Flame Nebula and surrounds - 36x - readily visible with dark structure easily perceived - both NGC2023 and IC435, around stars to south of Flame Nebula (H.H. locators), readily apparent - at 91x something dark sensed at H.H. location (wishful thinking I’m sure).

M78 - Neb. - 91x - Both portions of nebula readily observed - southern portion showed two stars peeking out of bright, fanned shaped nebulosity - a few very faint stars popping in and out of view in nebula - northern portion one or two stars in a roundish nebulosity.

Ursa Major:

M108 - Gal. - 91x - Medium sized, dim, spindle shaped - oriented roughly east/west - bright field star to west/northwest - faint field star just south of western end - no definite core/halo structure, but brightens towards center - stellar nucleus (or faint field star) at center - sensed a dark lane running length of galaxy north of nucleus.

M97 - "Owl Nebula" - P.N. - 36x - In same field with M108, a nice pairing in a nice field of stars - 91x - medium sized, dim, round with ill-defined edge - faintish field star to north - uneven surface brightness - glimpses of internal structure - occasionally sensed a round dark void in northwestern portion of nebula (perhaps one of the eyes?).

Leo:

Leo Triplett - Gal. Group - 36x - all three in same field

M66 - Gal. - brightest member of group - 91x - medium sized, bright oval - oriented roughly NW/SE - bright oval core in halo - field star on western border of NW end of halo.

M65 - Gal. - second brightest member of group - in same field as M66 at 91x - 91x - medium sized, bright, flattened oval - oriented roughly north/south - brightish core with extensive halo - glimpses of near stellar nucleus - faint field star just west of southern portion of halo.

NGC3628 - Gal. - Dimmest of the triplett - 91x - medium sized, dim, highly flattened oval - oriented roughly east/west - no definite core/halo structure, but brightest at center - brightish field stars equidistant to north and south of center - faint field star closer to galaxy north of center - occasionaly sensed mottling along length of galaxy - sensed that light fell off more abruptly along north edge of galaxy.

47 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Awesome report!

If we get a chance to travel through AZ will you point me in the right direction for an obs spot?:icon_biggrin: We'll see what Customs say when my 15" dob is loaded for the trip lol! No trip soon unfortunately. What elevation is your obs spot there?

Sure thing.  I have several nice observing sites east of me in the San Pedro River Valley.  They are quite dark, the seeing is generally good and they are sedan accessible.

The elevation at my primary observing site (my backyard) is around 4,500 feet, but I have to deal with the irritation that arises from the BLAZING porch lights of my neighbors.  The sites I use in the San Pedro River valley are around 3,200 feet, but are darker and there are no annoying man made lights, of any kind, to be seen anywhere, except for the occasional aircraft passing over.

Jerry

Archived