Hello Stargazers

joe1950

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, thank you all.  :hello:

The units used here are all over the place also. But those who use and understand the metric system are automatically awarded a higher intellectual standing (deserving or not). Especially those who can do conversions mentally!

I had a slide rule class at university (UK speak). I recall a huge 2 metre operating slide rule fixed above the chalk board the instructor used.

Many of the students had very elaborate and expensive instruments... fashioned in oak with brass hardware, slow-motion controls, motorized center slide... and the cases they had were equally high class made of the finest woods, engraved with their initials, dovetail corners and always lined with red or dark blue velvet.

My instrument was the economy version white plastic with the beige vinyl case. Often during an exam the center rail would slip out onto the floor resulting in a suspicious glance from the professor peering over his reading spectacles. I never did get the thing to work properly. I couldn't figure out where the batteries went!

I have to add hello to Sam in New Zealand!  :happy8:  (couldn't resist, Sam).  Well done website and great images!

Is it true when viewing a very dim object in New Zealand or Australia one must use inverted vision? (couldn't resist again). I hear it's very lovely in your country. I once made contact with a fellow on my ham radio in New Zealand and it was quite a thrill. From my location, that is the furthest contact you can make!

Nice of you to join up with SGL Joe.
I wish you well here, and may your Astro. knowledge improve, although I'm sure you
are pretty well experienced as it is. However, these guys here are always willing, and very able to field and resolve
any problem, or query you might have.
look forward to reading your posts,  and your sense of humour will fit well here too.
Very Best Wishes :icon_salut:.

I was away from amateur astronomy for a time and was rather shocked by the level of advancement made. I have much catching up to do. Learning is enormous fun at any age and I'll likely have many more questions than answers.

It's certainly obvious that this is an extraordinary group with very friendly people!

joe

Thank you Mark! And I promise no more 'upside-down' humour. Just had to get those out of my system :icon_biggrin:

I would venture a guess you have magnificent sky's by the sound of your location. I just can't imagine what a truly dark sky is. Though my local is referred to as suburban, seeing past magnitude 4 is nearly impossible. So, I tend to concentrate my attention on the moon, planets and doubles. Occasionally I'll try an open cluster or bright DSO, but anything else is fruitless.

One of my four sons lives in Salt Lake City, Utah. We're planning to drive north from his home in August, 2017 to view the total solar eclipse. I've never seen one and would really like to do so. While there, we may visit some dark sky locations. 

All the best!

Wonderful Mark! Many of the objects that never rise above the horizon here I would love to see, especially the Magellanic Clouds and Alpha Centuri. The only thing is, Mark, and please correct me on this, we here in the north-east of the US (especially) are under the impression that Australia is a beautiful continent to be sure. However we read about several varieties of rather nasty insects, reptiles and the like roaming the countryside. If so, I'd be inclined to place my scope and myself on a raised platform with a 10KV electric fence surrounding it. 

Of course, we have hazards here, such as folks driving at insane speeds whilst chatting or texting on the cell phone. And the southern and western states have their share of uninvited wildlife guest observers.

I would have to say, however, if I ever happened across one of those monitor lizards, you would be reading about the first 65 year old to break the 10 Kilometre running record.

Dana, thank you and yes, I'm a lifetime Phillies fan! I also follow the Eagles and Flyers closely. Though we can't claim many World Series Championships (2), those are all the most valued. I was fortunate to be at the winning game 6 of the 1980 series, and one of my sons was at the clinching game in 2008.

The Phillies newer stadium is a wonderful place. My sons attend games more often than I do, but it's a great experience.

My hero as a lad was Richie Ashburn, their talented center fielder and later play-by-play announcer.

I am fond of the Twins also. I wouldn't hesitate to enjoy their success in a World Series. After all, that would mean the Yankees didn't make it. :hello2:

New Jersey, as you may know, is like two different states. From Trenton north, most are fans of the New York teams. South, where I reside generally support Philadelphia.

I hope with the global entertainment and sports networks always popping up, you get to enjoy baseball now and then.

Thank you very much, Steve! Great Avatar! I have to work on my avatar, but I have nothing in mind currently.

Presently, I'm still trying to work out a good mount for my C80ED. I want it to be lightweight for easy take out and set-up, but stout enough to keep the vibrations to a minimum. I'm finding it isn't easy to find that happy medium. But we'll get there.

Thanks again!

Archived