NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

comet p/2010 v1 ikeya-murakami

Hey! After tracking down Uranus earlier this evening I decided to have a look for this comet (around mag.9 according to Stellarium). I'm a relative novice and so still working out the limits of my scope but after having plenty of success tracking catalina and x1 panstarrs i thought I would give this comet a crack.

I think I might have spotted it but am unsure as despite getting the general location I wasn't sure if I was confusing it with a dim star - on that note I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good source of in depth star charts? I find Stellarium good for most things but not so much deep sky objects.

Has anyone else tried to catch a glimpse of this one yet? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Mark, Leeds, UK.

I use Skysafari on my IPad Air. You can view stars down to 12.7, so that's pretty deep. Attached are two views of the sky for Catalina. One showing up to magnitude 10, the next showing the max level of 12.7. You can also click on most of the stars showing to give you the star names too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

P/2010 V1 (Ikeya-Murakami)

According to Stellarium it is a Magnitude 8.98 tonight.

I'm pulling down images, but can't find it just yet. I was pretty successful with Catalina. But not yet with this one.

Catalina had me bamboozled at first, I thought what I was seeing was light pollution. But it was the edge of Catalina's tail.

Anyway, I'm going to keep trying...

Edit in: Nothing last night. :^(

Archived