Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Experience with the Carl Zeiss Jena Telemator

I finally got first light, or should I say first hands with my Carl Zeiss Telemator today. I have some things I'd love feedback on! I post this in the equipment section because visual astronomy was not actually a great part of the experience today. Seeing was horrible and the sky was washed out, I literally had to point to holes between clouds in the end. I also setup up my WO Megrez 90 on the Porta Pro mount to have something to benchmark against seeing wise. 

9AcTIDzlVbagyyIxv_Makfhn5FvNQMTfAWW-zOOlCBjFtPmjgymLnyhkYB1Shkc77_MP7DSzlMlGyEg9

This is what I did

• The TM mount was assembled in GEM mode, even if it didn't make much sense. I can't adjust the latitude, because I lack a tool so I did not bother testing the motor. The person that used to own it lives far north in Norway well above the arctic circle so tracking would have been poor.  
  • I balanced the scope on both axis, this was very important because it enabled minimal force from the tension mechanism 
  • I did not fully extended the legs, something I should have. I had to bend down quite  a but to observe relatively low targets  

So, how was it?

• The mechanical operation of this mount when balanced is super smooth! With correct tension you can just point the scope in any direction and operate it by small nudges to the EP socket. My porta mount seemed crude in comparison!
  • Focus shakes the Zeiss scope up a bit compared to the dual speed of the Megrez 90. Expected.

The focuser is also inconveniently placed between the scope and the finder, but this is probably  a misconfiguration on the previous owners part. The users manual (and the AD image below) shows more separation between focuser and finder. On my scope, the finder is above the focuser. When I get the courage I will use some force and disassemble the rear, right now it's kind of stuck and Im chicken

LuQl6KhomdZZEuD6eT_JeYuMQfnhUOQLFaEl0n3i

I was scared to death of my Eye pieces falling out of the Eye piece holder, and they nearly did! If you look at this picture you see what I mean. That design is not very robust. I think I'll get my diagonal operational! Thoughts?

902884-3.jpg

I will be observing from dark skies friday/saturday hope to give a more detailed report on the visuals!

That's very interesting - thank you! I've certainly heard of Zeiss, but never associated Zeiss with actual telescopes. So, to me at least, that's a rare sight indeed. I'll me looking foreward to your 'First-Light' report. May the clouds take a vacation soon.

Clear & dark skies (are you listening, Monsoon Gods?) -

Dave

The 80mm long extension tube holding the finder bracket in place has the same M44 thread as on your plastic eyepiece holder. it should not be hard to remove.  The plastic eyepiece holder has probably lost some of its grip from use over time. They do come up for sale from time to time.  Zeiss also made a stainless steel version which is superb and well worth looking for, here is a photo.......

PICT0001 (Medium).JPG

PICT0002(Medium).JPG

The 80mm long extension tube holding the finder bracket in place has the same M44 thread as on your plastic eyepiece holder. it should not be hard to remove.  The plastic eyepiece holder has probably lost some of its grip from use over time.

Thanks ! The plastic holder is easy to remove. I am more worried about the disassembly of the finder/extension tube. I want to remove it to correct the finer placement, and to attach a shorter extension tube that is included in my kit and the diagonal. The existing and longer extension tube is stuck and I have tried to unscrew it with a bit of force. Do you know If I am doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, glennbech said:

............................ The existing and longer extension tube is stuck and I have tried to unscrew it with a bit of force. Do you know If I am doing something wrong?

That's difficult to answer. There is the possibility there is some oxidation that has developed in the thread region, or that the previous user cross threaded it upon assembly. One option might be to try putting a couple of drops of thread penetrating fluid at the junction of the extension tube and finder bracket and let it work over night; then use a couple of rubber jar opener pads to give you some grip while trying to unscrew it again. Just make sure the OTA is horizontal, as you certainly don't want anything to travel into the tube and drip on the objective. Carefully applying heat at the junction with a hair dryer and then letting it cool is another option. In both cases, I would remove the finder scope from its bracket before starting.

Edit: Hope this helps.

Yeah it's probably just really tight. Perhaps years of being in place as is and maybe the continued tightening up of the white eyepiece adapter part has caused the grey part to also tighten up to the focuser bracket area.

The rubber jar opener device is a good idea. A similar method, which worked when I was away from home, is to use a leather belt instead. That extra bit of 'purchase' will give the needed force to loosen the threads.  

Andy.

• 9 months later...

Hey There,

i got lucky enough to find a TM mount for my Telementor, so I think is now a Telemator... but I have no idea how to operate the motor drive... does anybody have the instruction manual in a PDF or just a photo of the correct page ? I don't know if I should have the brakes on like my EQ5 or not, and what it the job of the little black knob on the RA axis... etc, Thanks if you can help !

Archived