NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First go at wide field with Camera and Lens. Orion.

OK, I know its not very good but I have been suffering from Imaging Withdrawal Syndrome (IWS) and thought I would try imaging with my camera whilst on hols in Lanzarote. Used my Canon 550D and 50mm F1.4 prime lens. Took 50 X 1 sec exposures, iso 1600 and some darks and bias frames (DSS would only stack 30 of them...). I knew I had a problem with focus but when I tried again the following night, the tripod broke so had to make do with what I got. There is also a strange gradient... I have no idea where that came from :glasses12:

Anyway, its my first go using a camera, lens and cheap fixed (now broken) tripod :icon_biggrin:

56b5128a5a91f_OrionpreDBE.thumb.jpg.9de7

Even though its my first try at this, its still amazing what detail you can get with 30 sec of exposure...

Very nice! I've only just started with astronomy, I wish I could get images like that. Especially seeing as you have a broken tripod :) The processes of astro-photography seem pretty tricky and complicated, but for now I'm just sticking with observing.

Clear skies!

1 minute ago, Kimifa said:

Very nice! I've only just started with astronomy, I wish I could get images like that. Especially seeing as you have a broken tripod :) The processes of astro-photography seem pretty tricky and complicated, but for now I'm just sticking with observing.

Clear skies!

The tripod broke after I got these! I wanted to try getting a better focus but had to give up :blob8:

6 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

The tripod broke after I got these! I wanted to try getting a better focus but had to give up :blob8:

Ah bummer, that's a shame. But you're right, still amazing what you can get with 30 seconds of exposure!

I bet it was nice to see such a dark sky as well as the opportunity to capture your nice image, a shame your tripod broke. Focus doesn't look bad. Maybe the gradient was a passing cloud wisp.

Using the 400 rule with a 50mm lens you could push it to 8 seconds before start trails. 400/50=8 on your crop senssor 550d.

Too bad it cost you a tripod. I agree with above; the gradient is probably due to thin clouds, as I think I can see a faint rainbow effect in it. If you had gone for longer exposures, this would have become more of an issue.

On the other hand, with 4 - 8 sec exposures times 50, you might have seen a very faint Flame nebula close to Alnitak. I caught a glimpse of it under similar conditions.

Cheers,

9 hours ago, wimvb said:

On the other hand, with 4 - 8 sec exposures times 50, you might have seen a very faint Flame nebula close to Alnitak. I caught a glimpse of it under similar conditions.

If you open the full size image I'm sure you can just make out the flame nebula!

I rubbish your "Not so Good"  remark Tim.  There is nothing at all wrong with it.
 This sort of AP goes a very long in encouragement to others to try it.
A very nice result indeed, with nothing too expensive in the way of equipment either.
:icon_salut:.

With a 50mm lens that would be a fair crop, so an even more impressive result. :thumbsup:

If you try again with 5sec exposures and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what you get.

Did you use mirror up and a remote shutter release. If you don't have one you could use selfie release to give your camera time to settle.

Know the feeling.

Now that I have my EQ6 modded and ready to go, and my camera mount sorted, the weather has been crappy.

But I won't complain too much because I think I get a few more clear nights down under than you get in Essex.

My biggest bugbear is that I'm treed-in at home so I have to travel to do some imaging.

Archived