Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D printed filter wheel carousel

Astroboffin

Hi,

i am looking for some help if possible

i have an older Atik USB filter wheel, and it only has a 5 x 1.25" filter carousel, but want to use 36mm unmounted filters in it, so my idea was to get one printed, I have seen it done one here by Gina, I think with the size it is I would only be able to get 4 slots and not 5, but I could live with that.

so if I supply the sizes could anyone print one for me, obviously I would pay for materials and any time no problem

it only need to be a smooth edged carousel with a lip to hold each 36mm filter, so,they don't drop through, I will worry about how to secure the filters in place and about fitting the magnets for the wheel sensor.

if anybody could help, please let me know

regards

AB

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChrisLX200 said:

I would but I don't think mine has the capacity to print something that big... Say what the maximum dimension is and I'll let you know.

ChrisH

Thanks very much, I will sort out the maximum size, off the top of my head around 120mm diameter 

Regards

19 minutes ago, Astroboffin said:

Thanks very much, I will sort out the maximum size, off the top of my head around 120mm diameter 

Regards

Might just fit on the bed then - my plate is 150x200mm (but it won't print right up to the edge...)

ChrisH

1 minute ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Might just fit on the bed then - my plate is 150x200mm (but it won't print right up to the edge...)

ChrisH

I am going to download sketchUp and have a go with that, if I can get my head round it, would that file be ok for you to use, or would you just want all dimensions and do that part yourself too ?

much appreciated

Yes the .skp file I can work with - I'll check it over when you've done but I'm no expert with Sketchup either! I find the program weird after being used to AutoCAD and you really have to think in different directions. I actually ordered a 3D Connexion Space Navigator to work with it because the mouse alone is really cumbersome to use but it hasn't turned up yet.

ChrisH

I'll see if I can find it.  I would certainly be quite happy to share the file :)

A bit later...  Found it :)  It's 100mm diameter and takes 4 36mm unmounted filters.  Designed for my debayered & cooled DSLR.  I think I might have other versions too.  I seem to remember having one with spur gear teeth on the outside and holes for optical indexing - maybe that's in another folder.

Here's a screenshot of the SketchUp model.

56b3bcb583fb7_Carousel4x36mmfilters.thum

1 hour ago, Gina said:

I'll see if I can find it.  I would certainly be quite happy to share the file :)

A bit later...  Found it :)  It's 100mm diameter and takes 4 36mm unmounted filters.  Designed for my debayered & cooled DSLR.  I think I might have other versions too.  I seem to remember having one with spur gear teeth on the outside and holes for optical indexing - maybe that's in another folder.

Hi,

that would be great if you are happy to share, I don't need the spur gears around the edge, but one with holes for optical indexing would be good, I have downloaded SketchUp, so I could upload the file and just tweak it a bit for my needs...

Much appreciated

AB

Maybe you'll get on better with Sketchup than me, right now I'm getting brain damage... ;-)

Gina, perhaps you know - I'm trying to cut a square hole through the side of a cylinder, but when I use push/pull to push a square through it won't cut the curved surface (expected I know, but how do you get around it?)

ChrisH

cylinder.jpg

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that other than to make a flat on the cylinder and then you can cut out a square or round hole.  To make a flat on the cylinder, go to the end view and draw a line between the two ends of the flat.  Then use the push/pull tool to push the segment down the cylinder.  That then gives you a flat to work with.  Hope that makes sense.  If not come back to me and I'll explain more fully with demo sketches.  SketchUp takes a lot of learning - it's very complicated but also pretty powerful.

I should add... you may also need to make a flat on the inside of the cylinder such that the two flat surfaces are exactly parallel.

13 hours ago, Gina said:

Hi Gina,

did you manage to find the SketchUp file, I think it will be perfect for my needs, and save me having to buy a complete new filter wheel, as the one I have only will take 1.25" filters, and need a 36mm carousel.

much appreciated

AB

13 hours ago, Gina said:

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that other than to make a flat on the cylinder and then you can cut out a square or round hole.  To make a flat on the cylinder, go to the end view and draw a line between the two ends of the flat.  Then use the push/pull tool to push the segment down the cylinder.  That then gives you a flat to work with.  Hope that makes sense.  If not come back to me and I'll explain more fully with demo sketches.  SketchUp takes a lot of learning - it's very complicated but also pretty powerful.

I should add... you may also need to make a flat on the inside of the cylinder such that the two flat surfaces are exactly parallel.

Just wanted to add that I worked out how to do this with the aid of a Boolean script ;-)

AllSky_Case2.jpg

ChrisH

In sketchup is you create your square away from your cylinder and pull it so it is long, then select your extruded square right click make component. Now drag that through the cylinder wall so it pokes out either side. Explode it then select all and right click intersect faces with model. Now you can pick the middle piece and delete it both sides of cylinder and have a hole through it and remove any other overhanging bits.

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

In sketchup is you create your square away from your cylinder and pull it so it is long, then select your extruded square right click make component. Now drag that through the cylinder wall so it pokes out either side. Explode it then select all and right click intersect faces with model. Now you can pick the middle piece and delete it both sides of cylinder and have a hole through it and remove any other overhanging bits.

Hmm. That's a slightly different order of doing it so I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks ;-)

ChrisH

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Great hint - thank you :)  Even though I've used ShetchUp a lot I still have a lot to learn :D

2 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Hmm. That's a slightly different order of doing it so I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks ;-)

ChrisH

Must be doing something wrong because I still can't cut through the cylinder by deleting the middle piece both sides, all I see is the edge of the cylinder inside the square section which I inserted through the wall of it. :BangHead:

ChrisH

Gosh, I've used that to cut holes in my cylinder on my C70 project. I found a youtube video that have the approach but I will say it took lots of searching to find it. If I find the video I will add a link here as it rescued me and it works, I didn't think I missed a step out.

It must be a component before you drag it through the shape.

Must explode it afterwards

Must select all the bits and all the model bits it interfaces with and then select intersect with model or selection depending on what you picked, I had a small model so selected all and intersect with model.

Good luck

Found the youtube video

6 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Gosh, I've used that to cut holes in my cylinder on my C70 project. I found a youtube video that have the approach but I will say it took lots of searching to find it. If I find the video I will add a link here as it rescued me and it works, I didn't think I missed a step out.

It must be a component before you drag it through the shape.

Must explode it afterwards

Must select all the bits and all the model bits it interfaces with and then select intersect with model or selection depending on what you picked, I had a small model so selected all and intersect with model.

Good luck

Ah, it wasn't a component it was a group. Maybe that's the difference?

ChrisH

Apologies to Atroboffin for messing his thread up, I'll continue elsewhere if needed!

Archived