Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Stargazing Session!

Kimifa

Well, let's just say, I. Am. Happy. 

Recently just acquired a Skywatcher Explorer 130P and have been constantly checking astro weather forecasts for a good night to observe (hard to come by here in the south of England) Tonight was the first mildly decent night. Definitely too windy and a few clouds but where we managed to dodge those, we were ecstatic!

First things first, line up the mount with Polaris. After a bit of searching, not actually too difficult to do. Once that was done, the Great Orion Nebula was first on our tick list. Again, first time out, still getting used to the mount and finding objects, but then out of nowhere, a faint Nebula can just be spotted (easier once we would avert our gaze a bit :))  Not a hugely impressive sight tonight, also considering this is from a back garden where light pollution is visible, I'll have a better look from a better location. 

The next thing though is what really impressed us. A bright object in the sky that we manage to correctly identify as Jupiter. Stick in the 25mm, find it and lovely sights. But that's not enough, we have a 10mm too remember! Put that in and the moons jump out, Jupiter really starting to show its colours, even the brown rings around the surface. Any astrophotographer would kill me, but I couldn't help but stick my smartphone in front of the eyepiece and get a cheeky, very-lo-res snap of Jupiter and its moons. A T mount and adaptor to come soon I'm sure :)

For our first night observing with a telescope for under £200, we are happy. Infused with longing to stare all night. Can't wait to spot even more in the weeks, months and years to come. Wish I'd started earlier!

Clear skies to all,

Kieran and Zack. 

Very nice report - thank you for sharing! Glad you (finally) had some stars above, instead of the clouds that are our bane. We've been socked-in for years - or so it would seem. And we actually had some stars above here, too.

The 130P seems to be about the most popular telescope people buy over there, and for very good reason. Everyone loves them. Very good optics, easy to set-up and use, and a very reasonable cost.

Congratulations to the two of you!

Dave

Great report, your enthusiasm comes shining through.

I've said it before but there really is a special feeling when you sit/stand in your own backyard with your own scope and bring the wonders of the night sky into view.

Good luck and clear skies.

On 02/02/2016 at 00:25, Lucasjohn said:

Well up here in Manchester all I have is clouds, clouds and more clouds hopefully there will be some clear skies later on if your getting them down south.

Lucky

Ah I hope it clears up for you too.

On 02/02/2016 at 06:18, Dave In Vermont said:

Very nice report - thank you for sharing! Glad you (finally) had some stars above, instead of the clouds that are our bane. We've been socked-in for years - or so it would seem. And we actually had some stars above here, too.

The 130P seems to be about the most popular telescope people buy over there, and for very good reason. Everyone loves them. Very good optics, easy to set-up and use, and a very reasonable cost.

Congratulations to the two of you!

Dave

It always seems like years when you want to just get out there and see!

It definitely is everything you've just said. Got up and running in no time.

On 02/02/2016 at 08:10, baggywrinkle said:

Nice report, good to read one where first objectives have been achieved..better still clear skies with a new scope!

Yeah, I couldn't believe it!

On 02/02/2016 at 09:03, Akiainavas said:

My first session was almost the same - Orion, Jupiter, Sirius, The Moon... amazing sights, even from a light-polluted backyard. Glad you liked it and hope for more to come.

Some good starter things to look at. And yeah, I couldn't believe what you can still see from the garden. We'll be back out there in no time.

On 02/02/2016 at 16:57, Astro Imp said:

Great report, your enthusiasm comes shining through.

I've said it before but there really is a special feeling when you sit/stand in your own backyard with your own scope and bring the wonders of the night sky into view.

Good luck and clear skies.

Thank you, I'm glad you can see how happy it made us!

It's amazing, all those hidden gems that you never really think of before. Managed to spot the ISS for 2 minutes yesterday too. Hope Tim's having fun up there!

21 hours ago, Jonk said:

It's great the first time isn't it?

Where are you in the south ? There are plenty of dark places within easy reach.

Not too far from you, we're in Eastbourne. I've seen a few potential places, can't wait to try them!

Archived