Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did i do today when I should have doing domestic chores?

anthony

I was lucky enough to be given an old bit of something that was suitable for a pier - Cheers to Mike (Yfronto). In the long run the aim is for it to serve as a daytime sundial or birdbath. At nighttime it will be a solid and level platform for my Eq6 for visual/photo work.

Today I made a rough topping for it in marine ply that is surprisingly sturdy and will be more than adequate for visual work. It will be interesting to see how it does for imaging.

Length wise and down through the middle

post-12863-133877342485_thumb.jpg

Cut a disc and screwed it into place. This disc will allow me to attach a "lower plate". The disc rests securely on the inner ring of metal you can see in the above picture. This is a pier within a pier and greatly increases the weight.

post-12863-133877342489_thumb.jpg

post-12863-133877342495_thumb.jpg

I still need to do a few bits but depending on how successful it is I might just use it at it is for ever or get some equivalent bits made in metal. It would also be good to move up a size or two from the M12 and get something mains poweed to cut it.

I shall probably pop a few patio slabs on in a suitable recess in the grass and bolt each corner of the base to them. I can level the top via the nuts/studding and the space between the plates allows me to get the spanner/wrench thing in quite nicely to bolt the eq6 in place.

Looking forward to first light on it!

Anthony

Very good! Oddly, I had thought of putting up a pier with a sundial for a daytime top, in order to sell the idea to Mrs. Warthog. I want the pier to be about 4'6" high, though, so maybe the birdbath's a better idea. Or a bird feeder. Hmmm.

Very good! Oddly, I had thought of putting up a pier with a sundial for a daytime top, in order to sell the idea to Mrs. Warthog. I want the pier to be about 4'6" high, though, so maybe the birdbath's a better idea. Or a bird feeder. Hmmm.

Don't want it too low or it'd be a cat feeder.

Archived