maxvision 34mm help

jrastro

I have decided to get a nice quality eyepiece for my orion xt8 dobsonian and am looking at the explore scientific maxvision 34mm. However,  I was wondering if this would cause too much coma. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Hi,

The eyepiece won't cause coma but it might show the coma that the scope optics produce.

Coma should not be an issue with the F/5.9 dobsonian though - the eyepiece should work well with it.

I have a pair of 24mm 68 deg MaxVisions and they are very nice indeed. Excellent value for money. The 34mm should give very nice wide-field views in the F/5.9 Dobson, with an exit pupil just under 6mm. I used my MV 24mm in Olly's 20" F/4.1, which is a severe test, and it did show some astigmatism at the edges, but at F/6 in my 80mm APO it is terrific.

• 2 months later...

I have now had this eyepiece for a while and can say it is excellent. It shows beautiful wide fields and pinpoint stars right to the edge. It makes clusters really sparkle in the immersive 68 degree view. I can't wait for the summer milky way to come up! :happy7:

Archived