Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Target list needed for Grenada

Mrbloke

I will be off to Grenada in the not too distant future and will be taking some newly acquired 10x50 Helios Naturesport Plus binoculars with me.  I have been looking on sky safari to try to plan some targets to view and am looking for any advice.

LMC Really hoping to see this.  It's only going to be a few degrees above the horizon, but I am keeping everything crossed that it will be visible.  I will try for SMC but it is probably going to be too close the the sun to see it before it sets.

Eta Carinae nebula

Southern Cross

Jewel box cluster

So what targets am I missing for a pair of bins?  Anything else I should be taking with me?  (I suggested packing just the Dob and a pair of shorts, but the wife gave me a ever so slightly worried look).  Any help much appreciated.

Hi George,

My wife and I went to Grenada in 2014 and loved it. I dragged a Celestron C6 and steel tripod over there and really wish I hadn't. The air was so full of moisture that the seeing was terrible and every time I took the scope outside it misted up immediately and took hours to come to ambient temperature and clear the optics.

Bins are a much better idea. You can probably get away with finding somewhere outside to leave them so that you aren't taking them in and out of an air conditioned hotel room.

My advice is to spend most of your observation time enjoying the stunning display that our nearest star puts on almost every evening and take a peek through the bins whilst enjoying a nice cold drink on your balcony :wink:

Have fun - it is a fantastic place with an incredibly interesting history.

Derek

PS: Watch out for bag snatchers on the beach - 99% of the locals are extremely friendly, including the artizan sellers who will come to visit you on your lounger many times a day, but there are a few who prowl the sand looking for opportunities to grab an iPhone or a purse.

Thanks for the advice Derek.  Unfortunately, there happens to be this kind of risk wherever you go, so I will remain vigilant.?

Respect for you though, travelling with a considerable amount of kit.  It's a shame conditions were not too good.  :icon_salut:

Archived