Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific Ultralite Dob Owners

Looking into this range and hoping for a bit of advice on them, nothing too serious, just a couple of potential issues I think may arise. How does it feel to nudge when looking through the eyepiece on the "wrong" side of the scope? Would it be more like pulling the scope to follow an object? And how does the primary mirror cope with dew with it being so open? Any owners out there able to help?

Cheers,

L.

While I don't have an ES dob, I do alter focuser sides between my SW 250px and my Obsession 15".  I did wonder beforehand if I'd find it awkward, but to be very honest, for me it is a complete non-issue: I find I quite naturally just adapt without thinking - observing with my dominant right eye in both scopes.

Best of luck with any decision to purchase!

-Niall

Thanks for the replies Niall and Mike.

I dare say I'll get used to the focuser position - I did have a 10" Newt on an EQ mount a few years ago and the focuser found itself in a few awkward angles.

Mike, do you mean a one piece cover "astrozap" like, I've never seen this advertised but I did see a shroud on a review of the 12" scope on a youtube video. I just assumed it was added by the owner. 

Regards,

L.

• 4 months later...

I'm resuming a bit this topic, as I saw you eventually bought this telescope, and I'm planning to buy it in a few months.

Your impressions? I'm mostly aiming at portability, with an eye to the low budget, and from what I saw there aren't many alternatives to this setup.

I saw some users had a issues with altitude movements, in general mechanics don't seem to be very refined.

Archived