Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher Explorer 200P EQ-5 PRO Synscan goto - is it flimsy?

despot67

Just seen this for sale on a well known online trading site second hand and seems a good price?

Googled it and people say its to "shakey" for astrophotography. I currently have the 150p on a 3-2 mount with 2 axis motors and its pretty stable with my dslr on it and read the eq5 is better but then I read with a 200p its too top heavy. I was going to buy a 127 goto for planetry work but the shed would then have 3 scopes in it (plus me sitting in the middle) so had the idea one decent scope is less hassle.

I once had a 200mm Newt on a HEQ5 pro and even that was a little shaky at times. Only doing visual though, but it was like a big sail so surface winds often disturbed it. it is not that it cannot be done, just that there is an easier way!

On 24/01/2016 at 12:12, despot67 said:

Just seen this for sale on a well known online trading site second hand and seems a good price?

Googled it and people say its to "shakey" for astrophotography. I currently have the 150p on a 3-2 mount with 2 axis motors and its pretty stable with my dslr on it and read the eq5 is better but then I read with a 200p its too top heavy. I was going to buy a 127 goto for planetry work but the shed would then have 3 scopes in it (plus me sitting in the middle) so had the idea one decent scope is less hassle.

Forgive my naivety as i'm dead new to all this too but if it's a case of just having the one scope wouldn't you be better off with the 200PDS anyway?

Personally i have only seen the SW200P in my local shop, it's big, it's going to be pushing 9kg with bits and a dslr and thats about max payload for an eq5 and i'm sure when they sell these packages they don't have AP in mind.

Not sure which site youve seen this on, but theres a 200P with EQ5 on well known auction site for £789.

Couple of points - the 200P doesnt have dual speed focuser, which is really a must for photography. And, as others have said, you're pushing your luck with the EQ5 for load capacity.

You could get a 2nd hand HEQ5 for about £500, and a good 200PDS for £200. Even new the 200PDS is only £285. That would be a much better deal in my view, and its a great set up - good for DSOs and when barlowed good for planets too.

Archived