NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WiFi Control of USB cameras via an Android phone using VirtualHere

Hibou

In an earlier post MrOD suggested that a USB camera could be controlled over WiFi using a Rasberry-Pi and VirtualHere, so I wondered if that would also work with an Android phone using an OTG USB cable. I installed the VirtualHere server on a Motorola G4G (2nd gen) phone running Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) with the VirtualHere client running on a variety of PC's under Win7, -8 and -10 and tried to control a Lodestar-X2 USB camera over WiFi.

Frankly, I was a little surprised that it worked at all, but the phone does seem to have enough USB power for the camera, which I was able to mount on all the Windows machines; drivers were automatically installed and the camera was mounted correctly under "Devices and Printers". The camera was also recognised by both Nebulosity and StarLight Live, but although neither of these apps complained, they were unable to communicate further with the camera.

So I plugged in a simple USB memory stick instead of the camera. It was recognised the USB memory as OTG storage and I was able to read/write to it from the phone. Again the VirtualHere client (vhui64.exe) happily mounted the remote USB stick, recognised the brand etc and I could see it under "Devices and Drives". But again Windows was not able to communicate with it further - its total size and free space fields were blank.

My conclusion is that VirtualHere looks promising, but that it is not quite there yet :-) If anyone can tell me what else I might try, please do so.

23 minutes ago, Mick J said:

Have you looked at DSLR Controller,  an android app that controls a camera or are you looking to control from windows ?

Also, you may like to look over DSLR Dashboard 

Yes, I looked at DSLR controller before posting. It is a controller for... Digital Single-Lens Reflex cameras, in particular Canon EOS cameras, whereas I am interested in controlling USB cameras intended for "video" imaging such as the SX Lodestar. Indeed I posted to the "Video" forum, but some-one decided that my post should be moved to "Cameras" :-)

But you are right to imply that it should be possible to write a similar Android app. to control USB "video" imaging cameras, but so far as I know no such app exists.

Sorry Hibou,  picked up on parts of your post and not very helpful.  Google Play Store has some apps like 'usb camera' that work with simple UVC web cams. 

Working with SX Lodestar will/may be a different matter.

Not used a phone, but for a couple of years did experiment using WiFi control of my rig as it meant only power cable connection to the mount/scope. Everything worked fine from the computer through the WiFi connection to a Belkin WiFi hub. All the gear was easily controlled. BUT, I kept on getting spurious drop outs of the CCD (QSI 583). I tried several different remedies none of which worked. In the end I contacted QSI and got a very curt response saying " that they do not support WiFi connections in any way". They stated that they would only support wired connections. So no help at all. In the end I reverted to wired as I was loosing far to many subs and imaging time.

Derek

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

Not used a phone, but for a couple of years did experiment using WiFi control of my rig as it meant only power cable connection to the mount/scope. Everything worked fine from the computer through the WiFi connection to a Belkin WiFi hub. All the gear was easily controlled. BUT, I kept on getting spurious drop outs of the CCD (QSI 583). I tried several different remedies none of which worked. In the end I contacted QSI and got a very curt response saying " that they do not support WiFi connections in any way". They stated that they would only support wired connections. So no help at all. In the end I reverted to wired as I was loosing far to many subs and imaging time.

Derek

I don't blame QSI for not supporting WiFi connections...imagine how much support they would have to provide to try and sort out every known manufacturer's WiFi unit issues...ranging from good quality ones to cheap Ebay specials? It would be a nightmare for them. If they provided WiFi on their camera as standard, that would be a different story, but even then it will never be as reliable as a piece of copper.

A cable works (as you discovered), wireless, particularly WiFi, BT etc., barely works.

Yes I understand your point entirely. But some times, it would be nice if you could do away with a wire or two. I had the WiFi working but it looked like the camera was dropping out due to a timing error problem, even though I did alter settings for the Com Port.  Looking back at it, it may have been a power supply problem as the dropout problem intermittently persisted until I also went for regulated DC/DC power supplies. 

I am just too busy to retry altering it all again. I lost too many imaging hours!

Derek

IMO -The only reliable full rig (Camera,mount etc) Wireless connection is to put your Computer(PC/Laptop/Tablet) next to the mount , run all the cables to this Computer and use some form of remote control - Teamviwer,RealVNC etc - this have been arounf for years and fully tested by IT dept all over the world. But like all things its swings and roundabouts - gain here (no drop outs to local PC) loses there (wireless time lag,buffered and reduced screen res). 

On 1/24/2016 at 17:17, Physopto said:

...it looked like the camera was dropping out due to a timing error problem...

Yes, I suspect that timing is the problem. Pity, since I too like to do away with wires. We'll just have to wait a while yet :-)

I have tried using a Belkin USB to network hub and this was connected to my computer via a TP - Link WiFi unit. Worked very well bar the sudden drop outs every so often. These drop outs were always just after me watching it all thinking all was working then wandering off to have a chat to one of the lads at a star camp. I would be in the middle of a confab and it would fail. In the end I went back to the Belkin wired connection.  But odd dropouts kept happening. I was loosing a lot of imaging time. I tried an Iomega unit. It allowed wireless connection but decided again not to chance it. Back on ordinary USB connection all worked bar one or two dropouts. In the e be changed over the power supplies to DC/DC stabilised supplies. I am still testing and too early to say if t he dropouts have been banished.

I reckon there would be a small fortune waiting for the person who can design a reliable WiFi unit capable of running all the USB connections on our rigs. The idea of reducing the connections down to a power connection only is very appealing. Less wires to catch on and less drag on the mount. Computers have reliable WiFi it is just the other end we need. 

Unfortunately  this hobby just seems to attract profiteering.  Simple items command very high prices. I tend to make most of my gear if at all possible. Time is partially the enemy. Cost the other. 

Derek

Archived