Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro and HEQ5 PRO combo?

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times before but here goes 1001…

I’m new to astrophotography (I’m actually new to any form of astronomy) and am considering the above rig as a starting setup.  The idea would be to eventually add CCD, auto-guiding etc. at a later date as budget allows.

What are people’s opinions of the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro and HEQ5 PRO combo? I will initially be using my old Nikon D200 work-horse un-guided while I play around and learn the ropes.  Another question I have is around the probable max length exposures I could reasonably expect to achieve with this rig?

Many thanks, O wise ones!

I was asking the same question around this time last year, and the general consensus was that the 80ED and HEQ5 is a great setup to start with. I couldn't decide between a reflector or the 80ED, but the refractor allows more payload room to spare if you do decide to add guiding/CCD later on.

I've not regretted getting mine at all, even though the weather hasn't allowed me to use it anywhere near as much as I would have liked!

You may want to look at getting the field flattener for the scope as well. This will prevent distortion at the edges of the field. I got one when I ordered everything, so I couldn't tell you how bad it is without.

Can't edit my post, so double posting!

The exposure length will be as good as your polar alignment. I can get 2 minutes unguided with round stars, though I haven't yet tried many shots beyond that length.

The latest firmware has a polar alignment option on the handset to make it easier to do.

Surely a bargain setup capable of taking superb photos, but get into guiding sooner rather than later if you can. It's impossible to predict possible sub length unguided because it depends on the position of the target in the sky, the pot lock of how much periodic error your mount has, your PA and other things unknown. (The fact that in unguided imaging some subs are good and some are not shows that the unknown really is at work here.)

Do you have Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards?  Unfortunately Steve published it after I'd spent several years faffing around in the dark and learning by trial and error, but now that he has published it I'd advise you to start with it! Available from FLO.

Olly

I have that exact combination after doing my research on here and reading Steve's book. I haven't regretted it in the slightest. If there are better beginner setups, they won't be significantly better. I echo Olly's advice on guiding as soon as you can. I struggled to do much more than 2 mins unguided, and in reality, the results were not great. Guiding however means a whole new world opens up to you. I have subsequently added a motor focuser, CCD + filters, belt mod to the HEQ5, so it does provide a nice upgrade path as you progress and your goals crystallize when you work out what you like doing in the vast hobby.

I have pretty much that set up and its great, my only issue was the focuser on the ED80 was not man enough for the job once my DSLR, Barlow and an extension tube or two was attached.

There is a simple DIY mod for the focuser which i did rather than spend a few hundred on an upgrade and it now works perfectly.

Archived