NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which of these two focusers would you recommend?

I'm fed up with the focuser on my ED80 APO, so it's time to upgrade but dont want to be thinking 2wks later i should have bought the other one.

The stock focuser is just not up to the job of working as it should with a DSLR and sometimes a Barlow attached.

Iv'e considered other options including the DIY mod and the JMI but it now boils down to which of these two is best for my needs.

Baader steeltrack diamond RT or Moonlite CF Crayford, the Moonlite looks great but it's function i'm interested in.

Both will be a similar price as i'll need the adaptor for the Baader.

Iv'e read the specs of both so many times iv'e fried my brain, any help appreciated, especially owners of either.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a Moonlite CR2 on my F15 refractor, fitted by the previous owner,and it is as buttery smooth and silky as you could wish for. I also have a Skywatcher ED 100, which  has the stock focuser and  is in need of an upgrade. Faced with the choice between two superb units, I am going in favour of the Baader focuser simply because of its classical lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I too have a Moonlite on my ED120 refractor with their stepper motor and can really recommend it.

It is a well made piece of quality engineering.

I use it with my DSLR and I have not experienced any slippage at all (which was one of my worries with it being a Crayford).

Tried the autofocussing the other day and after a couple of failed attempts, tweaked the settings and off it went and autofocused for me.

Great piece of kit in my opinion.

Steve

Archived