Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with imaging set up

Hi all,

I'm about to ask a daft question, but I'll explain a bit.

The bit I know;

DSLR.  Using this camera, I know to remove the lense and attach the camera directly to the telescope using an adapter.

This in turn makes the telescope the lense.

It focuses on the sensor and I'm able to take photos (good for Deep Sky Objects and the moon, but planetary is very small)

The bit I don't know;

CMOS.  I have had success using a CMOS camera only with the lense on the front.

I can't use it like the DLSR as it doesn't focus an image on the sensor.

The image of Jupiter for example appears small with the lense, but I can't use my 5x powermate with it. (The lense has a screw which makes it over 1.25")

My daft question;

Whenever I look for a written explaination for setting up my CMOS camera, I find results for guiding.

What is the optimal setup for imaging? (I want to be able to use the powermate)

Many thanks,

Chris

Not sure I get what you are trying to do but have you tried attaching the 5x Powermate  to the scope and attach the DSLR to the back of the Powermate using your T adapter.

That will increase the size of planets in your photos

Or attach your QHY camera to the Powermate

I'm not trying to use the DSLR with the powermate, I just attach it with an adapter.

I'm comparing my CMOS with the DSLR, as the DSLR uses no lens.

I can't get focus on the CMOS without the lens.

Do I need the lens on the CMOS?

How do I use the CMOS with lens in a powermate due to the screw in the lense?

Chris

When you say CMOS do you mean a lensless camera, probably a webcam derivative or similar?

If so you put it in the Powermate and put the Powermate in the scope and the scope-Powermate become the lens. You then shoot a burst of video (maybe 1000 to 2000 frames) and turn the best of them into a single still using a free programme like Registax.

Olly

Cheers Olly, I'll try that.

I ask as I couldn't get it to focus, maybe I'll try during the day first.

My CMOS is a QHY5L-II, I'm just getting to play with it due to weather and work.

Just curious, but why are there 2 lenses with it?

Fisheye I think is for pointing it at the sky to record meteors etc.

Normal I'm not sure.

Chris

Additional.

Oh dear.... I think I've had the blondest moment ever.

I tried this 5 nights ago and have just readlised something.

When I took the diagonal out, I didn't add a spacer. (I have a spacer on the DSLR adapter when I use that).

I'll give it another go.

Thanks for clearing up my issue with the lens again :-)

Chris

Don't use the lenses provided with your QHYII, when using it on a telescope. 

The fisheye lens is indeed for meteor detection with a special program and the other lens is for use as a webcam.

Use it like you use your DSLR (which has a CMOS sensor as well), without any additional lenses, beside your telescope and maybe a powermate (or Barlow)

The backfocus distance (from the shoulder of the housing to the sensor) is quite different from your DSLR. For your DSLR that will be 44 mm, for the QHY it is only 10,4 mm, so keep that in mind when using a powermate, you will need 33,5 mm more spacing to reach focus then with your DSLR.

Waldemar

Archived