Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan Query.

I'm reading through the manual for the Synscan trying to get to grips with using it in various options. The question I have is about PC connections. Is it essential to have a serial cable (9 pin to USB), or can you just get a lead that has a USB at one end and an RJ-12 at the other? And if so where can I get one from??

Any help and advice welcome.

No stargazing tonight. It's trying to snow.

Are you think of using EQMod...???

I don't want to appear ignorant, which I am, but Sorry I have no idea what you're talking about.

Longer term may connect the PC to the system to use something like Stellarium. But also to update the the firmware should I need to.

I'm aware that you can get RJ12 to USB adapters. I have no experience of these, so could not recommend one. A quick trawl did not get me enough information to confirm correct connectivity. I use a normal serial to USB converter cable, but some of these work better than others. I think mine came from eBuyer. 365 Astronomy sell them too.

The standard cable which usually comes with the SW mounts - to allow upgrading of the firmware - has the older DB9 serial connector at the PC end.

To interface this with todays computers, which are 99.9% USB connection, you need a USB>Serial adaptor.

For the last ten years I've successfully used the Keyspan brand adaptor.

Works for me.

hi...trying to help...I have celestron and the download cable was USB to serial 9 pin. Celestron site shows a USB to RS-232 converter and I actually bought mine from a 'computer shop'  rather than celestron due to cost.  It works well but interestingly with my laptop and not well with my desktop....I think celestron needs to look hard at their update methods ! And who has a serial port these days...some prehistorians !!!

Archived