You, Too, Can Capture A Comet!

Last year about this time, I was reeling over Comet Lovejoy and this time, though not as bright, I'm reeling over Comet Catalina! Here is a wide-field shot of the comet in the Canes Venatici region on the morning of January 12 at 5 a.m. in 20 degree weather. it was about 7th magnitude and still approaching perigee (January 17). Taken with a Nikon D-50, 9 subs, no darks or flats, processed in DSS.

ASTRONOMY%20-%20COMET%20CATALINA%20DSS%2

Notes:

The comet is just off center to the left. You can see a hint of green and some tail as diatomic carbon interacts with the solar wind. As of January 12, 2016, the comet is magnitude 7 about 68 million miles away from Earth (.73 AU), hustling out of the solar system at about 103,000 mph, appearing to be moving toward the Great Bear (Alkaid is the bright star to the left). Perihelion was on November 15, 2015, at about 76 million miles from the sun (.82 AU). Perigee will take place on January 17, 2016 when the comet will be about 67 million miles away from earth. 

Cometary skies,

Reggie

Nice work, well done.

I've viewed many comets over the years. Naked eye and telescopic but I've only ever captured one photographically - Hale-Bopp and that was using a point and shoot camera.

Thanks, Paul. I got Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake on video (on VHS, mind you). But my best photos are of Lovejoy. 

Archived