Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which illuminated correct image finder scope should i buy?

I am after a new right angle C/I illuminated finder scope and i can see a choice of two, one is the Antares 8x50 from RVO and the other is Orion(USA) 9x50 sold from multiple sites. They both use the same finder mount which is handy because this is the mount on my TS straight finder. Which should i buy or is there a better one out there i haven't found?

The Altair Astro 10x60 RACI works well for me, but it's the only one I've tried. I use it on my ED80, a C8, and an f11 4" refractor. Can also be turned into a straight-through guidescope for AP - a useful bit of kit. Not sure about compatibility with your mounting bracket though, probably best to check that with Altair.

HTH

Cheers

Simon

I am after a new right angle C/I illuminated finder scope and i can see a choice of two, one is the Antares 8x50 from RVO and the other is Orion(USA) 9x50 sold from multiple sites. They both use the same finder mount which is handy because this is the mount on my TS straight finder. Which should i buy or is there a better one out there i haven't found?

It wouldn't surprise me if they came from the same factory.

I find 8x50 just a tad small and the Orion 9x50 just about right - there's an illuminator you can get for them separately but I don't illuminate mine. My Altair 10x60 is excellent - like a little scope on it's own - and they also do an 80mm model for even wider views (both ready illuminated and both have a helical focus eyepiece). I'd recommend any of them really. :)

You're usually looking for objects in the central cross hairs with a finder. The edges are useful when your star hopping across recognisable asterisms or groupings of stars.

But in all honesty - I've never had any problems with the edge of fov in any finder - even if it tails off slightly. It's usually more relevant in eyepieces when scrutinising a large object that fills the fov. :)

Archived