NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars only?

bob4026

Blimey, that's gone up!

If you're interested, I've written a proper manual for the trigger-grip head ("Choosing & Using" section of my website).

It was your High Praise review wot did it! ;)

I too enjoy the ease of observing with just the binoculars, but my experience vastly improved when I upgraded to the Zomei T/Pod.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who just uses Binos for astronomy, or if they are just a back up?

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob, I just use my 15x85 binoculars. With binoculars you get the whole picture, and you will see wide field cosmic landscapes you will never see with a telescope.  Here you can read observing report of Orion's sword with them http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/260520-orions-sword-through-15x85-binoculars/

Its in the bag patbloke....literally. :hello2:

Bob

It's arrived :-) Wow what a solid and impressive piece of kit... Two days on a standard delivery came nicely boxed and wrapped. First thing that struck me was the weight and quality oozing from this kit.

The grip is class! I set it all up indoors in a few minutes. The clips on the tripod legs feel very secure and not flimsy at all! I was pleasantly surprised by the height at full extention... I'm six foot two and its well up there.

I bought a steel binocular bracket for £4.99 (Amazon) and fitted it to the removable quick release head on top of the grip. I then went outside and fitted my 15x70 binoculars and took a good long look at the moon, which was quite high in the sky. What a difference having those bins fixed firmly on the grip!

I packed away and stowed the gear in the carry bag that came with the kit as I had to go out for the evening. I have to say again that it's a great bag, looks strong and again oozes class. On my return could not resist setting up again which is so easy. Took a look at the Orion Neb and the moons of Jupiter... Once the binoculars have been put into position looking at your target, they don't move at all, apart from a bit of vibration when focusing.

This was the first test drive for the kit and I couldn't wait to post something to thank you for the recommend and to say how chuffed I am with the purchase... I cannot believe how they make stuff like this for the money!

It also came with a couple of free small black bags with 4 cleaning cloths in each. The little bags are fitted with carabineers and I also got a tiny, but VERY bright led key ring size torch.

It's worth noting that at the top of two of the tripod legs there are black rubber sleeves which make it comfortable to carry when out of the bag.

The kit apparently weighs eight pounds! Feels heavier than that so I'll weigh it tomorrow just out of interest. It's lightly heavier than I wanted for travel but who cares, it'll be amazing for the Binoculars, Go Pro (time lapse) and the DSLR ... I'll just take less of all the other stuff I take on hols...

Happy me, can finally make good use of my 15x70's without having to lean on walls and other crazy supports :-)

Archived