SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoculars only?

bob4026

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never call bins "just a backup..." In my opinion, they are a great addition to your observing equipment. I have a 10" dob, a 5" reflector, and two sets of bins. Bins are great for quick in and out sessions when you don't feel like setting up a scope. Also super portable for vacations or work trips if you're like me and can't leave this hobby at home. I used bins long before I bought a scope. I had no issues. Just as long as you understand how to use them and their limitations you won't be disappointed. Clear skies!

I used just binos for the first few months in the hobby, but I really appreciate the extra magnification and light gathering that a scope brings. Great answer from Colvin above. My binos are still in regular use too. I'd add that I also take my binos out alongside the scope. Great for a wide field view that the scope doesn't give and very useful for locating targets to make the tricky ones easier to subsequently find in the scope.

I like using low power wide angle binoculars for general observations, using the telescope when detail is important, when the conditions allow, therefore, my binoculars get more use than the scope (at present) especially due to the bad weather over the last 6 months or so.

I still want good conditions and mount my 8x40s to get the best general views, and even though my binoculars cannot provide me with detailed Planetary surface details, their certainly not just a backup. They also have other day and night time uses? and like everything else, no one pair can do it all.

Bins are my most used bit of kit.

Unbeatable for a quick look about,especially in the short windows in the appalling weather that we've had recently.Also the utmost in portability and zero set up time.

However,the scopes come into their own for observing Double Stars,the planets and occasionally,the Moon.

Bins are great and I use mine more than any of my other kit.

I have a pair of 12 x 50 that are easy to use hand held and also have a pair of 22 x 85 that must be supported on a substantial mount.

I often go away on business and take my small bins with me.

I have binoculars in the boot of my car at all times... 15x70's reasonably cheap and fit into my rucksack to take on my hols... I have spent many an evening on a hotel balcony looking out into dark skies at targets I wouldn't normally see from where I live (in fact I see very little from here with the current weather) I am actually considering upgrading mine (to what I don't know) as I see them as an essential part of my armory... I don't mind throwing a bit of cash at a good pair, but difficult to know which ones are going to give me sharper views than my already slightly large Revelation 15x70's 

That's why I have found myself on this thread as I'm searching new purchase binocular advice

Since selling my telescope and kit I 'only' have my binoculars, living in a good dark area helps no end, I really enjoy using them. I am stuck between buying a small portable telescope or buying a decent pair of binoculars. 

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who just uses Binos for astronomy, or if they are just a back up?

Whilst I don't use binoculars only, I use binoculars far more than anything else for visual astronomy and for public outreach activities; they are certainly not "just a backup". I do have a big Dob, but that takes me half an hour to set up, and I sometimes haul out a little Gregory-Maksutov for the Moon or bright planets.

That's why I have found myself on this thread as I'm searching new purchase binocular advice

See http://binocularsky.com/binoc_choosing.php

Here is my observation.

For non professional astronomy....

Binoculars for star clusters (best 10-15x wide angle), small ED refractor for planets and moon.

If I had to pick one, 10x50 or 11x70 binoculars. But in 2016 in the era of the chinese empire, an 80mm ED glass scope shouldn't be more than 300 euro used(it used to be 2000 euro), so you might start with binoculars and set some tenners aside slowly for the ED scope or small Mak.

Hi all,

It looks like I may well have touched a nerve, certainly not my intention I assure you. Maybe `back up` was the wrong choice of phrase. :confused2:  

I only ask because I absolutely love using mine, so much so I've bought another (larger, better quality) pair ! And a tripod !! (Don't tell the wife)

ATB

Bob

Its a Ravelli with a trigger attachment. £54 from Amazon. Feels good and heavy and is stable when set up.

Will post a mini review when iv'e used it a few times.

ATB

Bob

I second the Ravelli,as I'm sure many fellow purchasers here on SGL will.

It's an AMAZING bargain!

I second the Ravelli,as I'm sure many fellow purchasers here on SGL will.

It's an AMAZING bargain!

It looks a great tripod and grip... Can you tell me the length stored as it states 88cm is that with the grip on? Seems quite long, I'm thinking of getting something to take in my large suitcase to use abroad soon...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Archived