Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion's Sword Through 15X85 Binoculars

CHAMACO

It’s just amazing to observe the Orion’s sword filling 3/4 of the FoV. NGC1981, NGC1977, M43, M42, and NGC1980 in the same FoV. Unforgettable view. 

NGC1981. For me Orion’s sword starts with the star cluster NGC1981. A medium size open cluster (25’), with 8 stars very clearly identified. Through my 15x85 looks like a crocodile or alligator, with the eastern star forming the snout and the western star forming the tail. Two lines of three stars form the "legs" and "body" in the middle.  The top left star (in the Northern Hemisphere) is the double star Struve 750. Just 4.5 arc seconds apart, so no way to split it with binoculars. Apart from this clearly visible 8 stars, 4 more very faints stars can be identified. 25’ South of this wild cluster you can find NGC1977, the running man nebula.

NGC1977. Looks like a very faint 20’ patch with 2 stars easily identified at first sight: 42 and 45 Orionis. At second sight 2 more stars can be identified. The four stars identified correspond to the “wide double”: 42 and 45 Orionis. These stars form a young open cluster with most of its stars obscured by the dust and gas in the nebula. 42 Orionis (mag. 4.7) is responsible for most of the illuminating in this nebula. 7-8 min North of Orionis 42, it can be easily identified the variable star inside NGC1973, and the one (fainter) inside NGC1975. Of note, these nebulae (including M42) are the fluorescing parts of a single much larger cloud of gas and dust: the Orion A complex, which has a mass of about 100.000 Suns. 25’ South of NGC1977 is M43 Mairan’s nebula.

M43 Mairan’s nebula. Although very similar in size to NGC1977 (20’), I was able to detect more nebulosity in M43. In the center of M43 is easily visible the star NU Orionis (mag. 6.9). This bright variable star ionizes the nebula, making it visible. It’s clearly separated from M42 as an individual nebula. For your information, professional studies have found planet-forming disks around several stars in M43, some of which contain water ice. 

M42 Orion nebula. A stunning glowing cloud through 15x85 binoculars. The 1 degree apparent dimension of M42 corresponds to a diameter of around 20 light years. Although this nebula contains 3.500 stars inside, through my 15x85 binoculars only stars Theta1 (trapezium) and Theta2 are very easily identified in the heart of the nebula. For moments looks like a possible A-C split in the trapezium (Theta1), but not very clear to be honest. By contrast, Theta2 is a very easy-split triple star. The three stars are separated 1’ each one. This triple star is tailor made for binoculars. There is a group of 5 stars forming a tail crossing the Orion nebula. That tail starts nearby Theta2 triple star and finishes just above NGC1980. If you imagine the Orion nebula as an eagle, this tail formed by 5 stars looks like the eagle’s spine.

NGC1980. Looks like a 14’ open cluster rather than an emission nebula. From all Orion’s sword components, NGC1980 is the closest to our planet (1000 light years). The others are around 1400 light years from our “patio”. Although this cluster contains about 2000 stars, I can easily identify 3 stars surrounding the double star Iota Orionis (mag. 2.8). South West of Iota you can find easily 4 more stars, being the shiniest Sigma 747, which looks like a perfect double star with its companion HIP 26197. 

In summary, the Orion’s sword is probably the most spectacular image you can get through binoculars, regardless its size.

Very nice and informative report. I really enjoyed the read. The whole of Orion is a lovely target to observe in any instrument. Come to think of it, it's quite spectacular in the naked eye, especially from dark, clear skies.

Thanks laudropb. Yes, it's a really fascinating naked object provided I invest in gasoline.

inspiring report... but I can't fathom your Gasoline puzzle.

it's very simple chops. The most important telescope or binoculars is not the optic apparatus, but the sky darkness. If you drive far away from big cities and go to semi- or rural-skies, even with an opera binocular you will be able to see more DSOs than with a Fujinon 150 ED in the city.

Very good write up - I got my maps out and tracked through all your objects as I was reading. I'll have a much better idea of what I'm looking at next time I've got Orion in my sights.

Archived