NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Feedback and were to go from here?!

Hi there, 

So I've only recently gotten the astrophotography bug! 

I've been blown away by some of the photos out there using only a dslr, tripod and a 20-30s exposure. 

So I decided to try my hand at it. My first 2 attempts were pretty awful, bad light, wet, windy and horrible. 

I finally managed to nail a good night to take some shots, but I'm not sure how to improve and progress from here. They still feel like they're missing something :/

I would love some advice! 

http://my5tery.deviantart.com/art/Out-there-583167623

http://my5tery.deviantart.com/art/Look-Up-583104333?q=gallery%3Amy5tery%2F13976444&qo=6

http://my5tery.deviantart.com/art/The-Stars-Above-583046436?q=gallery%3Amy5tery%2F13976444&qo=7

Thanks! 

Harry 

Welcome to SGL Harry, be careful if you get hooked on astro photography it's an expensive slippery slope  :icon_biggrin:

As to where to next, I guess some sort of guided mount for longer exposures, I have a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer which fulfills this purpose admirably, there are other similar devices available and if you're into DIY you can make what is known as a "Barn Door Tracker" do a search for instructions.

Good luck with your imaging those look excellent.

Dave

Hi,

I have an EQ2 mount, really inexpensive, (though special Vixen photography mounts, etc., might be more suited to the job) and it does me fine, (with motor tracking). I can get exposures of about 1-2 minutes without any bad trailing, with a DSLR and 200mm lens. With that sort of exposure length, and loads of subs, I have managed to get a quite satisfying image of M31, the Andromeda Galaxy, so I would say it's probably quite suitable for a beginner, like me.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Nice wide images I'd be pleased with those.

With what you have if you took only stars then you could take multiple images and stack then using free software DSS deep sky stacker.

Then take bias, dark and flat frames to further using DSS with your lights.

Hi Harry, these are nice wide view images capturing some great details of the stars. I particularly like the one looking past the tall pines. My first interest was when I managed to capture the Milky Way with a DSLR resting, would you believe it, on a cushion on a coffee table on the patio of a rented cottage in Devon. Here was the resulting image I cobbled together with a simple stitching app on my iPad. A very basic Mosaic, but I've still not taken a better image of our galaxy.

post-47153-0-27588200-1453242800.png

I then started using Deep Sky Stacker and learning how to take dark, bias and flat frames to get some better star images. Here was my first attempt which worked on Ursa Major. What impressed me about this was that I could take relatively short exposures (no guiding or tracking) and then get a respectable constellation image. I could also see that Mizar was in fact a double star with Alcor, something I'd never realised before but now can see it clearly with the naked eye!

post-47153-0-67409600-1453242996_thumb.p

Another route for you to go would be the moon. You don't need long exposures and there is free software with Registax and Autostakkert which will allow you to stack moon images. The other thing I looked out for was planetary conjunctions which were an interesting subject. Here's one of Jupiter, Venus and a Crescent moon from a couple of years ago.

post-47153-0-18879500-1453243852_thumb.p

I'm afraid to say that that these photos were the early beginnings of a more expensive pastime. Having seen what many people post on this site, I was inspired to shell out for a much more costly option, but with the help, advice and assistance of many within SGL, I'm now getting images like the ones below. I guess the choice is down to you as to what you like the look of.

post-47153-0-60953600-1453243447_thumb.p

post-47153-0-32730300-1453243457_thumb.p

Whatever you choose, enjoy and please post your work for the rest of us to see. Judging by the compositions you've already posted, you have a good eye for what makes a nice image.

Richard

Archived