Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda for your critique

Leveye

While I wait for another chance at comet Catalina I thought I'd post some recent photons of M31 for your critiquing and advice. I'm using an un-modded Canon DSLR on all my deep space imaging at the time and have been very happy with most of my results.My comet shots all have great color to them. This object always seems to elude me when it comes to the "correct" composing and "correct" color of the core. I have never been able to ever get any warmth out of the center of it no matter how many lights I stack. Ah well it will always be one of my very favorite things to image beside the Orion and running man nebulae at any rate. Let me know what you think of the edit.

35 300 second lights @ ISO 800 - 50 darks - 80 bias - 50 flats then into DSS using median and mosaic method, stretched in PS and sweetened to taste in LR.

post-28595-0-64881200-1452223323_thumb.j

Looks great in its own right! I assume that some of the yellow-reddish core you see in many M31 images is due to a higher hydrogen alpha sensitivity of the cameras used. My Canon 60Da (modded by Canon) gives me a yellow warm core of M31, but since our eyes are less sensitive to H alpha than a modded camera, Dave is making a good point when he says that this is exactly how he sees it in his eyepiece.

You can of course use Photoshop to change the colour balance in centre of the M31. Maybe that is faking it but if you really desire a warm core, it can be done. I played a bit with your image:

post-44514-0-11519500-1452267489_thumb.j

It's an excellent exposure, Chris, and I like your rendition a lot. The first version is the best for me.

COOL!

Yours definitely stands out between the other Andromeda galaxies we get to see. Love it!

Many thanks for posting that Gorann. Helps me out in seeing the differences. I really love the core and details there in your shot wow. Hey I like your composition as well don't sell yourself short! Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Archived