Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory Planning/Build - Seeking my 6 year old's planning permission!

ArmyAirForce

27 minutes ago, The Head Gardener said:

Looking good, are you weather-proof yet?

Jayne

The roof panels are drying overnight, and I expect to be able to fit them tomorrow. After fitting some bolts to hold the roof shut, it should then be weather tight.

Thanks Derek. I sort of just dreamed it all up in my head and to my absolute amazement, it all worked! The sheds are kit ones and the astroshed is obviously pretty modified. 

There's an irony, in that we have just spent 5 years away, with brilliant rural skies, but it was rented, so i couldn't start building things. The sky here at home isn't really great - urban and not great horizons. But there's still plenty to see.

I have a heater in the next door shed. Nominally, that one is my wife's shed. But hey! You know how it goes...    :icon_biggrin:  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ArmyAirForce said:

The roof panels are drying overnight, and I expect to be able to fit them tomorrow. After fitting some bolts to hold the roof shut, it should then be weather tight.

Yes the bolts are important, i reckon. I put one on each of the 4 walls to hold the roof on in a gale. we've had the gales, and the roof remained on. You can see two of the "twist shut" padbolts that I used in my photo. They were very cheap, and work very well. 

First thing this morning, I got the fabric glued on to the two small roof sections around the back of the observatory. It was a warm sunny day, so the glue cured quite quickly. After another B&Q trip, later in the morning, both got their gloss coats. Once they were out of the way, I started fitting the roof.

obs87.jpg.b2f5be2befb6572c7c5f2e3bd79ad8

obs88.jpg.677306a304da12bc6ceac5aa52cd01

Once both sections were lifted into place, the wheels on the second side were fitted. They needed to be off so that the roof panels would drop down over the aluminium tracks. The two sections then had their hinges fitted, and were then opened to a position where it was convenient to hinge the top one. The positions of the wheels were marked on the tracks, and four slots were then cut in the top of the tracks, to allow the upper roof to lift up and over on top of the lower one. It took a while using a combination of hacksaw, chain drilled holes and files to open the slots and tidy the edges. In any other position, the roof is trapped in the runners and can't lift off.

obs89.jpg.1d9a75b74544460c616895c3080abd

obs90.jpg.df7409a150c9f2ab6eb34d123820d3

• Like 1

With the slots cut, the roof could be opened properly and rolled down to my workshop wall. I did another quick obstruction check and even though it is slightly higher at the hinge point, the roof still seems to be below the height of the house roof when viewed from the pier, and so shouldn't interfere with any imaging. The join between the grey roof and green sides is yet to be cleaned up. I'll probably go for a white trim over the join, as was on the play house roof before I recovered that. Those trim pieces are yet to be repainted and refitted.

obs93.jpg.31b73823a9f457751952327c94ca1e

At the other end, two M12 bolts were fitted for the top part of the roof to lock into when the roof is closed. This shot shows them before they were cut to length, so I don't have too many turns of the nuts to lock up up closed.

obs94.jpg.380db6a40d09cbc8356fcecd9ff771

Edited by ArmyAirForce
  • Like 2

Finally for tonight, a couple of 'completed' shots. While the major structural work is done, there's still lots of smaller odds and ends to do. A wooden floor, door handle and locks, rubber roof seals, insulation, electrics and lighting etc., but I feel like I'm over the steepest part of the hill and just coasting now. Just as well as I don't think my knees can take much more crawling around!

obs95.jpg

obs96.jpg

I've also done a quick video of the roof and side being opened and closed.

Edited by ArmyAirForce
Embed video
  • Like 1

Thanks, I hope so. Even without an observatory, I've had 31 imaging sessions so far this year. Some are just 15 to 30 minute solar or lunar sessions, but I still consider that I get out quite a bit. Now with a permanent set up, I should be unstoppable!

• Like 2

It looks great. The colour looks like one of the Ducks Back range - I used Ducks Back on mine. I love the way you've done the roof and my wife is envious of the summerhouse - or is it a children's house?

Anyway all the very best with it. It's such fun doing something like this, and having it work. 

Fantastic effort Stephen, you are going to notice such a difference with a permanent set-up.  I hope you have a good neighbour next door (in the play house) - last thing you want when observing is an all night party next door :icon_biggrin:

Jim 

I got the planks for the floor cut and temporarily laid in today. They need a scrub and paint, but that's not urgent. I re-routed the mains cable from the play house into the observatory, but that is just a single socket at present, and not in its final position. I just wanted the power in for now. I also got another coat of paint on the two small roof panels.

obs97.jpg.5a849ec7ff8f03bbf25d568cbb6224

obs98.jpg.2faed3c8169c5bffb50ccb95738eb1

The other job done today was the rubber O ring seals on the roof sections. These get pinched when the hinged roof section closes, and when the roof slides up against the play house wall. They form a second line of defense against rain; the first being the overlapping design of the roof joints. The door handle came in the post today too. Via Ebay, it was half the price ( including shipping ), of a similar one at B&Q a quarter of a mile away.

obs99.jpg.3b8f90ad22e5a738a8552aa111fcd7

obs100.jpg.a854df167a66362a514b2a0145077

Edited by ArmyAirForce

On March 24th, out came the hose pipe for some simulated rain for a leak check! There was a small leak between a couple of cladding planks which was easily sorted, but the rest did well. There's a gap next to the aluminium hinge plates for water to drain from the upper roof, but I added a couple of holes on each side to speed up the water flow off the roof. However, when squirting the hose up the roof, an un-natural way for the rain to fall admittedly, I did get a small leak in the roof joint, so decided to give that a bit of a rework.

obs101.jpg

obs102.jpg

Edited by ArmyAirForce
Spelling
  • Like 1

The forecast wasn't great for today, with heavy rain later in the afternoon. After getting the fabric glued on the new roof joint, it was covered over in some plastic held down with bricks, to give it some protection while the glue dried. I was going to do some more painting on the outside, but seeing the darker clouds building, moved inside instead. The wall facing the workshop and part opposite the large door, was skinned in left over 1/2 inch ply wood. This gave me a nice firm wall to fix the electrics to, and for future laptop and/or accessory shelves. The temporary mains cable was cut shorter, and wired through a small terminal box to a four gang socket. I can also take a feed off to the play house and lighting.

The heavy rain that was predicted was indeed heavy, and after an hour or so, it eased off a little, so I went out to check for leaks. Thankfully, everything was dry inside. The forecast for the next few days is also a bit iffy, but hopefully I can get the gloss grey on the reworked roof areas. If all stays dry, I can fit the mount, which had a little service a few days ago.

obs103.jpg

obs104.jpg

On 21/03/2016 at 18:21, ArmyAirForce said:

I had her vacuuming the play house floor when she got in from school today, while I worked on other bits and pieces! When you're six years old, everything is exciting and fun. :icon_biggrin:

Outstanding!   :icon_biggrin:    Congratulations on both the build and the inspired use of child labour!

Jayne

• Like 2

I've had a few more busy days but with smaller jobs now. The plastic window on the observatory side of the play house was removed, and replaced with a wooden panel with a small vision window; my 'Mission Control' position. There will be a small table in this position for my laptop when deep sky imaging, with cables passing through a small hole in the wood. 

obs107.jpg

obs108.jpg