Aurora 20-21/12/2-15 Stockbridge Down, Hampshire

A freind and myself went to a site about 15 miles away from where we live in the hope of seeing some aurora, we have observed it before in the early 2000's from the same locality.

We got lucky even though the aurora was very faint and barely visible to the naked eye, it showed up clearly in our digital photos.

These images are from my new camera, a bridge camera (Fuji finepix S9500)  with ISO 400 and 30 second exposure time, I think I should have done a quicker exposure which may have show more detail.

I hope I dont have to wait over 10 years for my next opportunity to see the northern lights!

20/12/2015  23:42UT

Northern%20lights%20from%20stockbrisge%2

21/12/2015  00:06UT

Aurora%20withbeam%201024x768_zpslw8jyr6r

21/12/2015 00:08UT

Me%20and%20aurora%201024x768_zps63fe66qf

Nice shots there Star child.  Proof again, if ever needed, that aurora can be seen across the whole of the UK. Prior to our "emigration" to Mid Wales, we'd usually manage to spot an event roughly every 2-3 years from the English South coast. From here, we're picking up an average of 2-3 per year !!  Distinct improvement, but the much better skies have got to have made a difference though!!

Clear skies,

Les

Archived