Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iridium Flare in Leo [21.05.08] ???

Jaffa007

Hi,

Just after watching the ISS pass last night around 11:15pm. I was looking at Leo when I noticed a brightening light :shock: . First thought was it was a plane, as the flight path to Bristol & Cardiff are round my way. But it grew at a steady but rapid rate in brightness to then dim in the same fashion. It was around 11:30pm and was heading South to North direction. And cut right through the main body of Leo. :shocked:

Anybody else see it?

James

James, here you go, I was fighting clouds, look just above and right of centre. Lower right of centre you can see Saturn and Regulus. It's quite light as I did that to try and see the flare more in the processing. I figured I'd take the pic anyway even with the clouds, having gone to the trouble of working out the angles and setting it all up in the first place.

iridium47.jpg

:thumbup: Great catch John! Looks like it tried to hide behind the clouds, but you got it anyway.

Last night at 11:16pm I accidentally saw a fantastic mag -7 flare while waiting for the ISS to clear the trees on the western horizon.

It was Iridium 23, and if I'm reading the H-A graphic properly, I was right in the flare center.

Serendipitous sightings are magical, but I sure wish I'd planned for this event.. never saw such a bright one before.

Archived