Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eskimo + last night

nytecam

Been the cloudiest early winter for years [1st clearish night last night in 10 days] and I'm suffering photon starvation!   Temps in high 60sF - warmest December for 100yrs - all down to global warming.

Did a dozen Messiers/NGCs  - here's the bright Eskimo in 5 seconds via Lodestar-C under me dome - data on image ;-)

Nytecam

post-21003-0-41259200-1450433074.jpg

Thanks guys for the comments and likes !

North of the above "Eskimo" and a degree or so SW of Castor is another but faint [m13.0 + m14.8 central star] OIII emitting planetary NGC 2371 that I've dubbed the "Castor Propeller" for its appearnce and proximity to Castor - and why not!   In deep exposures this PN has multiple faint loops extending outwards including two brightish opposing lobes - one of which is just captured in 40s exposure.  Data on image ;-)

Nytecam

post-21003-0-47313400-1450456253.jpg

That is a great image for just a 5s exposure and quite clean.

As a aside 'photon starvation' is a well know disorder among astronomers. I also suffer from it. Symptoms include irritability, cursing at the weatherman or weatherwoman on TV, itchy hands from all the cleaning fluid used to clean optics, staring at the clouds, mumbling etc.Unfortunately, no cure except clear skies.

Thanks Hiten, Don and Dave for your comments ;-)

Hiten - I've vignetting in the corners of my shots on the LS @ f3.3 but it's eliminated with a single 'flat' [shot of passing cloudbase + gaussian blur to destroy colour info] for a smooth fov.

Don - I'm still learning with the LS and as I'm pleased with results won't be changing any time soon ;-)

Best

Nytecam

Nytecam,
I use flats when imaging but do miss the ability to apply them during observing as Starlight Live SW does not support flats yet. Are you applying these while at the scope or after?
-----------------------------------------------

Hiten - the original SX LS s/w permits auto darks/ flats in mono but not auto flats in colour but I'm sure SX would incorporate the later if requested and likewise with Paul's LodestarLive etc.    

Lately I just view the raw downloads in mono [and save] via SX s/w using View/ Auto contrast stretch [lowest 4-bits I think] that gives a bright if noisy display as unprocessed. Next day I get to review them again and relive the capture experience !  Then a few keystrokes to process, including darks/flats, and post here ! 

Not many folk seem bothered with flats but my skies [14M neighbours in the London Metro area] are major light polluted with [apart from the zenith] a background gradiate across every captured frame !  Hence more care needed than most in this game ;-0

Here's a sample flat [in grey] and the colour of my sodium lit cloudbase the flat came from !  This colour pervades the skies when cloudless too due to particulates and I check the s/w "LP filter" for DSO imaging and it seamlessly removes the colour cast to a neutral grey.

Nytecam

post-21003-0-75830400-1450541487.jpg

Archived