Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just getting going

adavies660

Been a visual astronomer for over 42 years and have played about in the past with imiging. Now just starting my new venture and getting into astrophotography. This is an image I took this week using an unmodified Canon 600D with an Altair ED80 on a CEM60 in my observatory at Astrofarm in South of France. It is probably the best photo I have taken to date. I have CCD cameras and narrowband filters but not trusted myself yet.

Comments welcome.

Horsehead nebula

Unmodded camera?? The amount of the Horsehead visible is astounding for a unmodded camera... You must have had a crystal clear sky.

How many subs at what parameters did you image this? If you equalize the sky glow orange to neutral grey, you'll have much more of the curtain visible.

Many thanks for the comments guys, I am really pleased with the image. To answer all your questions: 

I used a Altair Guide scope, phd to guide with Opticstar PX 35c. Image is actually 5 x 10 min exposures and 1 x 7 mins, (don't ask..:-) batteries ran out on camera). ISO was 800 and auto WB. I have just noticed they were shot as jpg's too....beginner mistake.. 

One thing we do have here is Clear skies with very little light pollution from nearest town. we are the highest point in our commune so lp is down at about 15 degrees, above that its clear. 

Proto Star " If you equalize the sky glow orange to neutral grey, you'll have much more of the curtain visible."  any chance you could let me know how..:-) ? 

Archived