Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M 101 and NGC 1333. Not enough data!

Hi there here are a couple of images that I took two nights ago.

Both really need subs of twice the length and many more subs than I got. It was fun trying to get the most out of them though and they are at least recognisable! Both were really noisy but will i'm sure, give much better results with plenty more 10 min subs.

M101. 6 X 5 min, iso 1600, UHC filter and calibration frames.

post-35654-0-25044600-1449768427_thumb.j

M 1333. 15 X 5 min, iso 1600, UHC filter and calibration frames. This is very small on my DSLR sensor and it probably better imaged with a CCD camera.

post-35654-0-46063000-1449768783_thumb.j

Nice images! As you already mentioned: more time is needed to get better results. I don't think that increasing the background values would improve the image, as you seem to be limited by DSLR mottle (large scale noise). I have the same problem with my setup.

If I find the time this weekend, and the weather plays nice, I will try dithering while shooting. This seems to be the only sure way to minimise this type of noise.

Clear skies

Nice efforts.

It's usually worth choosing a target and staying with it all night. and the next... This is something that is becoming apparent to me as I delve deeper into the sky :)

I know Paul! Because of my view, I can get a max of about 1.5 hrs on a target each night (restricted view of sky). I always intend to go back the next night, but the weather usually means it's sometime the next month.   :sad:  Then when I plan my targets on the next clear night, I always seem to wan't to go for something new.  :laugh:

I don't think you'll get that much with a UHC filter. I recently imaged M101 using my IDAS LPS-V4 which has a similar spectrum response to that of a UHC the idea being to integrate it with another session without a filter. With the UHC you'll get the Ha and OIII lines thoug but you'll be missing a lot of the visible spectrum from the Galaxy,

Archived