NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Morpheus 4.5 or 6.5?

bishbosh

Hi,

Originally posted in Beginners Equipment but thought I'd try here as well.

I have a SW Explorer 200PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount.

I've been looking at availing myself of a nice high power eyepiece as a Christmas present to myself. My only EP is a low power 28mm LET.

I don't wish to keep chopping and changing EPs so I am considering the Baader Morpheus range as they also have an M43 photographic thread. I will at some point (next year) most likely get a medium power EP as well.

Anyway, I'm in two minds whether or not to go for the 4.5mm or 6.5mm Morpheus. I've read a review by BillP here http://stargazerslou...heus-eyepieces/  which stated that the 4.5 had a bit of edge of field brightening otherwise it was fine. This has slightly put me off, however I'm wondering if I'm perhaps reading too much into it? Like reading a criticism in a review of an expensive car when the majority of people drive a cheap car. Would getting the 6.5 and maybe a 1.3 or 2x barlow be a better option?

I would be using this EP to view mainly planets, certain stars and lunar details.

Hi bishbosh,

I've not had an experience with the morphed (yet!) but I do have similar focal lengths in the ES82 range (4.7mm) and a 6mm slv, which I use in a 200p f5 at the same FL as the 200pds.

What I would say is that my 6mm gets at lot more time under the stars than the 4.7mm, primarily due to atmosphere distortion and wobble..

I've belive that Saturn and Mars might take the 4.5mm on good night's, whilst the 6.5mm might just leave you wanting to push higher, although I fear that like me you will tend to edge towards the 6.5mm due to seeing conditions more often than not.

I've been looking at these in view of trading in my ES82'S and would probably go for 9mm, 14mm and the 17.5mm, and then use a powermate to up the mags to represent a 4.5mm and 7mm, so your idea of a Barlow might not be too bad (although doesn't although Barlow push the eye relief out further, which might actually make things uncomfortable, unlike a powermate/tele extender)

Don't know if that helps at all, but would be very interested in a first light report if you go down the route of purchasing one..

Ta

Fozzie

Actually that's very helpful. My current seeing conditions aren't great in my back garden mainly due to the neighbours lights coming on now and again. I've yet to decide where nearby I'll haul the scope to for darker skies. So for the time being at least the 6.5 sounds tempting.

Thanks!

Well, I took the plunge and bought one of these beauties :)

It was smaller than I was expecting but then remembered that they are a good choice for bino viewing. Anyway, dying to get out and it's looking clear tomorrow night so a first light running report will be made when I can. No afocal photography yet as I will need to buy the appropriate adaptor.

Here it is against the SW 28mm let.

post-48084-0-97591000-1449782254_thumb.j

It arrived in a cardboard box with a handy pouch for storage. There was also a rubber eyecup in the box.

post-48084-0-10270300-1449782264_thumb.j

Archived