Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary Camera

Colinlp

Hi, I'm thinking of buying my first planetary camera, I've looked through some reviews and the ZWO ASI224MC looks to be a decent choice that isn't over expensive but equally won't leave me with upgradeitis next year.

What do you think?

Would you recomend something else?

If that was a good choice would I need to buy anything else with it, such as a 1.25" adaptor?

Hi,

you may want to look at a powermate or barlow lense if you don't already have them.

They're not a 'must have', but you may want to.

If you're using a refractor, you may want an extension piece in order to take the diagonal out, not needed with a reflector.

All depends on your equipment.

Chris

Chris, you're quite right I should have said what scope I'm using; it's a Celestron CPC1100. I have a barlow and will probably add to the kit as I progress but for now I would just like to have a go at capturing images and gain some skills along the way

I have the ASI120MC-S and with the Celestron 9.25 SCT AVX have started to get some quite reasonable images. 

If I ever achieved pictures half as good as those I'd be a happy bunny. I ordered the 224mc today so I'm looking forward to having a go now

Good luck.  From all reports the results should be even better. The Jupiter image was a bit of a happy accident in that the angle I put the camera in was just how it happened and I hadn't realised that I had actually captured Ganymede until I processed it.  I use AS!2 then Registax6 and capture 2.5 mins with Jupiter and 5000 frames with the Moon which is about a minute.  Further editing is done in Elements 11.  With Jupiter a 2xTelevue Barlow but so far with the Moon haven't been able to use a Barlow successfully - seeing conditions not good enough.  But seems to work ok without - provided you have reasonable viewing conditions and at the moment I can't see that happening for quite some time!

Archived