SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dovetail bar for eq8

Rob_Jn

OK I'm new to dovetail bars Strange though that may seem ☺ I have just took delivery of an eq8 mount and bought a Losmandy 15" type d bar for it. I have fitted the bar on and was surprised to see a gap between the mount and the bar of a few mm. Is this normal? Have I got the right bar for the mount

If the gap is under the dovetail bar, then that is correct. The bar should be clamped at the sides by the dovetails in the mount clamp when properly tightened. The EQ8 has three clamp bolts and holds the dovetail very tightly. It may be also preferable to tighten them by hand, then a fraction more using a spanner, carefully!

You can also use a socket on a small ratchet. Remember only a slight bit more on the tightening, no more than a tenth of a turn.

Derek

Edited by Physopto

Yes, I use the losmandy plate with the Eq8......…i would suggest removing the central clamp and replacing it with a ratchet handle, its much better and you can tighten them properly, once my ratchet handle is tight the two remaining clamps are just finger tight.

Ray

• 3 years later...

I use a 13/16" socket seems to fit quite well though I'm sure they will be metric so I suppose 20 or 21mm would be correct.

I'll have a look at the thread in daylight tomorrow unless anyone jumps in first....

Rob